Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS not working on Android on a iMX6Q board

Jump to solution
iker
Contributor II

Hello everybody,

I´m trying to use the GPS on a iMX6 Quad board. I´m using the last Android image given by freescale, android_jb4.2.2_1.1.0, but I can´t get my position. I´ve put it near the window, changed to another board and I still have the same problem. I´ve used a logic analyzer to read the serial signals exchanged between the microprocessor and the gps device and they have some type of communication but they are not using NMEA, OSP or Atheros protocols. Can anybody help me? I´ve already read the gps datasheet but no idea what is happening.

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RodBorras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Here attached is a tiny Android app that shows the NMEA messages coming from the GPS module.

I tried it on my MX6Q Sabre SDP, running JB4.2.2_1.1.0. Is that the board you have too?

Please let us know if you do not get any output. If you do get messages, then maybe you are just not getting a lock. Please try it outdoors.

Thanks,

Rod.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RodBorras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Here attached is a tiny Android app that shows the NMEA messages coming from the GPS module.

I tried it on my MX6Q Sabre SDP, running JB4.2.2_1.1.0. Is that the board you have too?

Please let us know if you do not get any output. If you do get messages, then maybe you are just not getting a lock. Please try it outdoors.

Thanks,

Rod.

0 Kudos
iker
Contributor II

Hi,

I have some NMEA messages as answers coming from the GPS module but I haven´t got enough time to read them. I am going to try to test it outdoors.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
RodBorras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Iker,

I wrote that tiny app just to confirm that you were actually getting NMEA messages.

There are plenty of apps out there that display the information slowly and/or graphically.

Given that you are getting the messages, you will get a lock if you wait long enough (sometimes several minutes) and have the unit outdoors.

Regards,

Rod.

0 Kudos
iker
Contributor II

Hi again,

So now that I know that it is working I´m trying to understand the data exchange using a logic analyzer but I´m facing some troubles. I know that the image that I´m sending is the $PUNV,WAKEUP*2C command that wakes up the gps but I´m unable to understand it. I´m using the following configuration: baudrate 115200, 8 bits, 1 stop bit and no parity. Maybe I´m mistaken and this is not the real configuration. I have more messages like the one that I´m showing (for example $PUNV,CFG_R) and I don´t understand them.
WAKEUP.JPG.jpg

0 Kudos
RodBorras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Your last entry is not really related to the original question: we have confirmed that the GPS is working on the MX6Q board.

In order to keep the community questions and answers organized so they can be searched based on a specific question, would you mind closing this question and re-entering a new one?

It would help if you could explain what you are trying to do: are you accessing the GPS through Android code (Java or NDK)? At what point are you setting a baudrate? Why not use the Android calls to the GPS?

Thanks,

Rod.

0 Kudos