Freescale i.MX6 Quad Sabre Auto  --- WILL NOT BOOT

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freescale i.MX6 Quad Sabre Auto  --- WILL NOT BOOT

kierancox
Contributor II

Hello and thanks for any help in advance.

I have downloaded the BSP for this board from here: http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

The first two files created on 6/2/2015 were downloaded. Once contains binary images the other source, patches, and instructions. (see attached)

The system fully boots with the supplied binary images.  However, I cannot build a system that will successfully boot after creating a tree several times per the instructions (see attached).

Using the tool split_bootimg.pl (http://www.enck.org/tools.html) I split the boot-imx6q.img for both my compiled image and the supplied binaries. The device trees in both images are exactly the same.

I believe the  issue is the Android build environment setup is not building the correct version of the kernel.   To that end the kernel that Android builds with the "lunch sabreauto_6q-user" is not the same as the supplied kernel image.I attached the serial output logs of both kernels booting up. If you diff those logs you'll see the kernel build by Android has a broken SD/MMC card driver. The MMC is never detected/setup in the kernel, thus the kernel cannot mount partitions from it.  The kernel itself lives on the SDcard, but it's loaded fine because U-boot correctly recognizes the SDcard.

The instructions direct the kernel source to be  cloned separately from running repo for Android and the instructions selected a particular tag, ie:

git clone git://git.freescale.com/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git kernel_imx

git checkout l5.0.0_1.0.0-ga

As this isn't the correct version of the kernel to build, what is the version that will generate a working SD/MMC card driver?   Looking at the kernel log, the kernel version is 3.10.53. There are numerous tags that can be checked out for the FSL kernel (http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/refs/tags)  I'm sure the right tag to check out is in there, but which one?

The same SD card was used when swapping boot images. With one kernel the system comes up fine, with the other Android fails to boot (to eliminate any question about the SDcard being setup right or the jumpers on the board being set correctly)

Also attached are the two boot-imx6q.img files.

Original Attachment has been moved to: boot-imx6q.img.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: sabre_auto_boot_PreBuilt_20151211_0048.log.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: sabre_auto_boot_20151210_1840.log.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: boot-imx6q.img.zip

0 Kudos
1 Reply

kierancox
Contributor II

After a substantial amount of time invested. I figured out what the problem is. Long story short, the download/build instructions directly from Freescale/NXP are wrong.

I will allow a representative from NXP/Freescale to provide correct build instructions to fix this critical issue.

0 Kudos