Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeRTOS SDK build for i.MX8QX

Jump to solution
ajmalali
Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to build FreeRTOS for the M4 core on IMX8QX using the SDK(SDK_2.3_MEK-MIMX8QX_M4_Beta_Linux.run). I found the steps for building FreeRTOS example applications in the document "Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK and FreeRTOS OS.pdf" found in the SDK docs. I was able to build a sample FreeRTOS Application(freertos_hello).

But I am confused whether this include the entire FreeRTOS or the Just the FreeRTOS application only. If it is just a FreeRTOS application, where can i find the steps for building FreeRTOS for M4 core using the SDK(SDK_2.3_MEK-MIMX8QX_M4_Beta_Linux.run)?

Regards,
Ajmal

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

steps for running M4 application can be found in sect.4.7.6 Running the ARM Cortex-M4 image

i.MX_Linux_User's_Guide.pdf included in linux documentation package

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.1.15_2.1.0_LINUX_DOCS&Parent_nodeId=13376994810717061... 

I believe "freertos_hello.elf" image contains OS(FreeRTOS) & sample application.

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

7 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ajmal

as stated in sect.1 Overview Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK pdf document:
"The MCUXpresso SDK also contains FreeRTOS, and various other middleware to support rapid
development."

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ajmalali
Contributor III

Thank you for your reply.

After building the freertos_hello application for M4 core, we got the final image as "freertos_hello.elf"(388.4kb). If I understand correctly, this image contains the OS(FreeRTOS) & our sample application. Kindly please confirm this understanding. Due to curiosity, We have a question, Are we able to build,flash and run FreeRTOS alone in the M4 core without any sample application?

Regards,
Ajmal

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

steps for running M4 application can be found in sect.4.7.6 Running the ARM Cortex-M4 image

i.MX_Linux_User's_Guide.pdf included in linux documentation package

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.1.15_2.1.0_LINUX_DOCS&Parent_nodeId=13376994810717061... 

I believe "freertos_hello.elf" image contains OS(FreeRTOS) & sample application.

Best regards
igor

ajmalali
Contributor III

I checked the document(i.MX_Linux_User's_Guide.pdf) and found the steps for running the M4 image on i.MX8 as you mentioned in your reply. But still I couldn't get the steps for building the FreeRTOS alone in the M4 core. Can you please help me to build the FreeRTOS alone in the M4 core without any sample application?

Regards,
Ajmal

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

please refer to freertos documentation

FreeRTOS - Quick start guide 

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
ajmalali
Contributor III

I checked the link(https://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-quick-start-guide.html) and found the steps for making the FreeRTOS demo application and so many other details. I am looking for steps to build the FreeRTOS for M4 core without any application for the I.MX8. Can you please provide pointer or link for build the FreeRTOS alone in the M4 core by using the SDK (SDK_2.3_MEK-MIMX8QX_M4_Beta_Linux.run)?

Regards,
Ajmal

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ajmal

seems building FreeRTOS for M4 core without any application does not make
sense as image should always have some basic RTOS Components, like Scheduler,
Timing Services: Clocks, Timers, etc.

http://dev.ti.com/tirex/content/simplelink_academy_cc2640r2sdk_1_14_02_04/modules/rtos_concepts/rtos... 

Best regards
igor