cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing Build Image to eMMC without using SD card

ashoksowndar
Contributor II

Hi Experts,

I am using i.MX 8M  SOM (nitrogen8M of Boundary Device), this SOM has only inbuilt eMMC chip as a memory device. I have checked steps to flash the image to eMMC of SOM, all of them suggesting to flash a U-Boot to SD card and through the flashed  U-Boot copy the build image to eMMC.

Since my SOM does have any SD card slot, I am need of a way to flash the image directly to eMMC chip. Please help me with step by step guide to achieve this.

Regards,

Ashok

0 Kudos
5 Replies

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

you can use uuu tool to download image to the sd card, I'm not sure if your demo image includes uuu file or auto file, if you have it, download uuu tool from the link as below, put them under the same folder, then use the command "uuu.exe <auto file or uuu file>" under Windows

Releases · NXPmicro/mfgtools · GitHub 

0 Kudos

ashoksowndar
Contributor II

I want to flash image in the eMMC of nitrogen8M of Boundary Device, not to the SD card. I have followed following steps as suggested in boundary device website

• Plug a micro-USB cable from your host machine to the target
  • Connect the board serial output (console) to your computer
    • On the host machine, start a terminal software such as minicom for Linux or TeraTerm for Windows
    • Set the connection baudrate to 115200 with no hardware flow control
  • Power up the board and stop auto-boot process to get U-Boot prompt
    • Simply enter any character on the terminal software to stop auto-boot
  • Enable the UMS Gadget for the eMMC 
    U-Boot > ums mmc 0
    • On the host machine, you should now see a new USB drive attached, you can now flash it
      • On Linux you can simply use the dd utility

But after "ums mmc 0", i didnt see any flash drive attached to pc. I have also tried with "ums 0 mmc 0", it didn't work.

Please hep me with this, am i missing any procedure?

Regards,

Ashok

0 Kudos

matthewmader
Contributor II

I don't know if you ever got this figured out, I was able to get my IMX8 to be recognized by Ubuntu by issuing the following command after stopping U-Boot autostart:

ums 0 mmc 1

However, this only works if the eMMC has previously been partitioned.

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Is your USB cable properly connected to your platform?

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

if you can use UUU, the command I said that download image to sd card, in fact, can work for emmc too, if you use command without emmc, ums <USB_controller> [<devtype>] <dev [part]> , did you try ums 1 mmc 0?

0 Kudos