FastBoot: My i.MX6D rev1.5 board has 2MB SPI NOR Flash. BootROM loads u-boot from flash and executes it, then u-boot loads uImage and DTB from eMMC using FAT FS. Can i bring uImage and DTB also to 2MB SPI Flash so that uboot need not load those from eMMC?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FastBoot: My i.MX6D rev1.5 board has 2MB SPI NOR Flash. BootROM loads u-boot from flash and executes it, then u-boot loads uImage and DTB from eMMC using FAT FS. Can i bring uImage and DTB also to 2MB SPI Flash so that uboot need not load those from eMMC?

balakrishnanven
Contributor I

My i.MX6D rev1.5 based board has 2 MB SPI NOR Flash. BootROM loads u-boot from flash and executes it, then u-boot loads uImage and DTB from eMMC using FAT FS. Can i bring uImage and DTB also to 2MB SPI Flash so that uboot need not load those from eMMC?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Balakrishnan

one can look at spi-nor boot example for SCM board: mfg tools script

mfgtool2-yocto-mx6scm-1gb-qwks-rev2-internal-spi-nor.vbs

Mfg Tool
Updates and Patches (2)
SCM-i.MX 6Dual/6Quad Manufacturing Toolkit for Linux 3.14.52 Patch Release (REV 1)
http://www.nxp.com/products/single-chip-modules/quick-start-board-for-scm-i.mx-6dq:QWKS-SCM-IMX6DQ?f...

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

balakrishnanven
Contributor I

Hi Igor, Thank you for the reply.

In mfgtool2-yocto-mx6scm-1gb-qwks-rev2-internal-spi-nor.vbs, I saw the following lines:

Line 764: <CMD state="Updater" type="push" body="$ dd if=$FILE of=/dev/mtd1">write device tree to internal spi-nor</CMD>
Line 767: <CMD state="Updater" type="push" body="$ dd if=$FILE of=/dev/mtd2">write kernel image to internal spi-nor</CMD>

This script will help me to flash the kernel and DTB to SPI-NOR.

But, I would like to know what modifications / extra coding I need to do in u-boot to make it load the uImage and DTB from SPI-NOR (instead of eMMC), Thanks.

Regards,

Bala

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bala

one can build images for that board or check its patches on

SCM-i.MX 6Dual/6Quad Linux Patch not able to bitbake 

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos