cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enableing and Booting from the eSDHC3

Jump to solution
waynee
Contributor I

I am in (desperate) need of help getting our iMX51 to boot from an eMMC connected to the eSDHC3.  Since I am only a lowly hardware engineer and don't have experience with uBOOT and the ROM, please reply with small words and walk me through the concepts. 

My software team has been struggling with the getting any communication to the eMMC.  One of our software engineers determined that the uBOOT was only enabling the first two eSDHC.  He has attempted to add code to enable eSDHC3 but we have not been able to see any results.  Can someone help us out?

Our end goal is to get the Linux to boot from the eMMC but as a first step we would like to see read and write access through Linux.  Our system is currently booting Linux through a BDI3000 via JTAG and Ethernet.  We have been able to confirm the eMMC is functional by running tests on it through JTAG.

Our eMMC is connected to the eSDHC through the following pins.

• CLK - NANDF_CS7 - ALT5
  • CMD - NANDF_RDY_INT - ALT5
  • DAT7 - NANDF_D15 - ALT5
  • DAT6 - NANDF_D14 - ALT5
  • DAT5 - NANDF_D13 - ALT5
  • DAT4 - NANDF_D12 - ALT5
  • DAT3 - NANDF_D11 - ALT5
  • DAT2 - NANDF_D10 - ALT5
  • DAT1 - NANDF_D9 - ALT5
  • DAT0 - NANDF_D8 - ALT5

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

Labels (2)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

He Wayne

I would suggest to start with :

AN4173 U-Boot for i.MX51 Based Designs,

Chapter 15 Adding Support for the i.MX53 eSDHC

MX53UG i.MX53 System Development User’s Guide

(actually i.MX51 and i.MX53 Linux/Uboot codes are very similar)

L2.6.35_10.11_ER_SOURCE : Linux 2.6.35 Source Code Files

IMX51_ER1011_LINUXDOCS_BUNDLE

For reference it may be useful to look at i.MX53 QSB schematic (SPF-27104_B.pdf, p8)

it has SD3 on board and its Linux/Uboot  codes

MCIMX53-START-R i.MX53 QS Board Schematics :

L2.6.35_11_09_ER_SOURCE : Linux 2.6.35 Source Code Files

IMX53_1109_LINUXDOCS_BUNDLE

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
waynee
Contributor I

I just recently noticed the attached JPEG from the Security Manual. It is showing the eSDHC3 connected to different pins that we are using.  But it also looks like this document has some errors. It looks like it has the CMD and CLK pins are swapped for the eSDHC3.  Can you confirm this? 

We have our DAT0 pin connected to NANDF_DAT8 while the security document has it connected to NANDF_WE_B. Assuming the ROM is expecting this and setting the IOMUX registers accordingly, what options do have for correcting this?  Can the ROM be changed to support the pin we are using?  Can you point me to the documents that walk us through the ROM modification and reprogramming?

When we attempt to boot, we are not seeing any activity on the CLK or CMD lines.  Is there something else we are missing that would prevent this access?  Again, we are setting our straps as above and not using any eFUSES. 

Thanks for the help. 

Wayne

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Wayne

yes in jpeg CMD and CLK pins are swapped for the eSDHC3.

Regarding DAT0 pin - in current RM it is connected to NANDF_WE_B,

please check attached file.

ROM can not be changed to support the other pins.

Actually you always should check fuses (may be they are inadvertently blown)

[by jtag] and verify that you are really booting from boot pins.

SRC Boot Mode Register (SBMR) reflects the status of boot

mode pins.

Best regards

chip

0 Kudos
waynee
Contributor I

We have been reading a register at offset 0x4 to confirm the bootstraps. I assume any eFUSE changes would be seen there.

It looks like we need to change our layout to support DAT0 at NANDF_WE_B. Are there any other options? How about the other pins, can you give me the recommended locations for the other data lines? We do not have access to the Security Manual.

We are seeing a value of 0x00000002 for the NANDF_RB0. Can you comment on that? It is confusing our software engineer.

How does BT_BUS_WIDTH effect the eSDHC? We have found that when this strap is low we are able to see activity (o-scope) on the cmd and clk lines when we try to boot. When this strap is high, we do not see activity.

Wayne Eckertson

Sr. Hardware Engineer

The Logical Company

541-515-4737

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Wayne

regarding DAT0 at NANDF_WE_B, unfortunately there are

no other options.

BT_BUS_WIDTH selects NAND/NOR Bus Width.

Actually all questions are described in i.MX51 Security Reference Manual.

Best regards

chip

0 Kudos
waynee
Contributor I

Thank you for your reply chip bit you may not have seen in my last post that I do not have access to the Security Manual. We are also in desperate need for this info ASAP. Can you call me so we can expedite our resolution? I can be reached at 541-515-4737 at any time.

Can you send me the NDA application paperwork? I requested it from tech support but I did not get a reply back.

Wayne Eckertson

Sr. Hardware Engineer

The Logical Company

541-515-4737

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Wayne

sorry, unfortunately internal docs can not

be shared in public. Please work internally with

tech support.

Best regards

chip

0 Kudos
waynee
Contributor I

Can you point me to the documents or sections that will allow us to boot from our eMMC device? 

We can now read and write to the eMMC but need to be able to set the hardware up to default to IOMUX settings that will connect the eSDHC3 to the pins specified.  I assume there are either eFUSES or a way to update the ROM to setup this configuration.  Where can I find detailed info on how to set the eFUSES or update the ROM?

Thanks again for the help.

Wayne

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

He Wayne

for fuses [or boot pins] configuration one can refer to Boot Chapter

MCIMX51RM

MCIMX51 Multimedia Applications Processor Reference Manual

and refer to attached file (only DAT0 is available when the SD/MMC is

used for boot. The remaining lines (DAT1–DAT7) are not available.)

This file is part of i.MX51 Security Reference Manual, you can request

it entering ticket to tech support.

Best regards

chip

0 Kudos
waynee
Contributor I

I just recently noticed the attached JPEG from the Security Manual. It is showing the eSDHC3 connected to different pins that we are using.  But it also looks like this document has some errors. It looks like it has the CMD and CLK pins are swapped for the eSDHC3.  Can you confirm this?

We have our DAT0 pin connected to NANDF_DAT8 while the security document has it connected to NANDF_WE_B. Assuming the ROM is expecting this and setting the IOMUX registers accordingly, what options do have for correcting this?  Can the ROM be changed to support the pin we are using?  Can you point me to the documents that walk us through the ROM modification and reprogramming?

When we attempt to boot, we are not seeing any activity on the CLK or CMD lines.  Is there something else we are missing that would prevent this access?  Again, we are setting our straps as above and not using any eFUSES.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

0 Kudos
waynee
Contributor I

I have been reading the reference manual but have not been able to figure out how to set the IOMUX registers are set for booting.  We know we need to and have been setting these registers to bring the eSDHC3 signals out of NAND bus pins.  We can successfully read and write to the device after we boot from a JTAG device.  But how does the system set these registers when you want to boot from the onboard eMMC device? 

Does the on board ROM set these registers automatically based on the BT_MEM_CTL, BT_MEM_TYPE, and BT_SRC strappings?  We have tried setting these but are not seeing any activity on our CLK/CMD lines when we try to boot.

We have set the following strapping...

BT_MEM_CTL1 - High

BT_MEM_CTL0 - High

BT_MEM_TYPE1 - Low

BT_MEM_TYPE0 - Low

BT_SRC1 - High

BT_SRC0 - Low

Can you or someone else provide some more detailed assistance? 

Wayne

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

He Wayne

I would suggest to start with :

AN4173 U-Boot for i.MX51 Based Designs,

Chapter 15 Adding Support for the i.MX53 eSDHC

MX53UG i.MX53 System Development User’s Guide

(actually i.MX51 and i.MX53 Linux/Uboot codes are very similar)

L2.6.35_10.11_ER_SOURCE : Linux 2.6.35 Source Code Files

IMX51_ER1011_LINUXDOCS_BUNDLE

For reference it may be useful to look at i.MX53 QSB schematic (SPF-27104_B.pdf, p8)

it has SD3 on board and its Linux/Uboot  codes

MCIMX53-START-R i.MX53 QS Board Schematics :

L2.6.35_11_09_ER_SOURCE : Linux 2.6.35 Source Code Files

IMX53_1109_LINUXDOCS_BUNDLE

Best regards

chip

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
waynee
Contributor I

Thank you chip.  This is a good starting place for me.

Wayne

0 Kudos