Enable other uart in imx6 sololite evk

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable other uart in imx6 sololite evk

eugenephua
Contributor III

Hi all, on the imx6 sololite evk board, there is only 1 uart enabled and is used for the USB to UART debugging port. I saw the schematic and there are several UARTs but they are connected to other pins. How do i enable the other UARTs in order to use them? Do i need to recompile the kernel? I am just starting to use the imx6 board so any advise is good!

Labels (3)
11 Replies

eugenephua
Contributor III

Hi all, just to consolidate the question, i saw that pin KEY_COL6 and KEY_ROW6 corresponds to uart4.RXD_MUX and uart4.TXD_MUX in the ALT1 mux mode. In its original mux mode, they are used as the push buttons if i am not wrong.

Now i want to use these 2 pins KEY_COL6 and KEY_ROW6 to act as UART4 instead of push buttons. I read and think i will need to change the u-boot to support this?

In u-boot, i saw this inside the file mx6slevk.c

static void setup_iomux_uart(void)

{

imx_iomux_v3_setup_multiple_pads(uart1_pads, ARRAY_SIZE(uart1_pads));

}

Do i just add one line -> imx_iomux_v3_setup_multiple_pads(uart4_pads, ARRAY_SIZE(uart4_pads)); ??

thanks for helping out this newbie here

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eugene

please look at attached document

Chapter 3 Registering a New UART Driver

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

eugenephua
Contributor III

Hi igorpadykov, thanks for the manual. In the manual Chapter 3.1.4 it mentioned the relevant uart files, but i cannot find the directory plat-max : linux/arch/arm/mach-imx at master · torvalds/linux · GitHub . Has the directory been updated to this mach-imx?

Regards

Eugene

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eugene

please look at another attached file Chapter 3.

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

eugenephua
Contributor III

Hi igor,

For the BSP porting guide chapter 3, the serial devices are enabled. This is a screenshot of the dev, only ttymxc0 is displayed. How do i get the ttymxc1,2 or 3 to show?

ttymxc0.png

I also did a dmesg | grep tty and the result is:

Kernel command line: console=ttymxc0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 rootwait rw

2020000.serial: ttymxc0 at MMIO 0x2020000 (irq = 58) is a IMX

console [ttymxc0] enabled

0 Kudos

jayaramks
Contributor III

HI,

1.Configuring UART Pads on IOMUX as described in  i.MX_6SoloLite_BSP_Porting_Guide.pdf.

2.in board.c file add UART usining imx6q_add_imx_uart() function.

Regards,

Jayaram

0 Kudos

eugenephua
Contributor III

Hi Jayaram, thanks for the information. However, I am confused as to which linux kernel i should use:

(1) linux-2.6-imx.git - Freescale i.MX Linux Tree

(2) https://github.com/torvalds/linux

For both of these, they do not have the /arch/arm/mach-mx6/board-mx6sl_evk.c file. Could you share the link to get the correct kernel?

Thanks!
Eugene

0 Kudos

jayaramks
Contributor III

You can find i.MX 6 Series Software and Development Tool Resources @

i.MX 6 Series Software and Development Tool R|Freescale

Regards,

Jayaram

0 Kudos

eugenephua
Contributor III

I have already downloaded the L3.10.53_1.1.0_iMX6SL_Bundle. But it does not contain any source code for the kernel inside... Please help link me to the board.c file... I have tried looking and found one at https://gitorious.org/utilite/utilite/source/923d109379cfcca3e69251aa4d2100fbd5c0b208:arch/arm/mach-....

But looking at the directory structure, it looks so much different from Freescale's. E.g. it has the mach-mx6 directory but Freescale does not have and instead, the closest is mach-imx. Inside, the files are not the same...

0 Kudos

jayaramks
Contributor III

Try:

L3.10.17_1.0.0_IMX6SL_BUNDLE : Source Code Download Steps Documentation and Demo Images.
Size (K): 714420 Format: gz Rev #: L3.10.17_1.0.0 Modified: 2/24/2015

0 Kudos

eugenephua
Contributor III

Hi Jayaram,

The bundle contains only the images, it does not contain any source codes. After some reading, the mx6slevk.c file can be found inside the git.denx.de Git instead of the Freescale git..

A question here is for enabling the additional uart, we need to change u-boot and kernel?

Thanks!

Eugene

0 Kudos