cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESD Contact Discharge IEC 61000-4-2 issue

lucviala
Contributor I

Hello NXP community,

During our CE certification, we had to test ESD contact discharge on our product, but when we discharge in our ethernet socket, the ethernet controller stopped working. But, after a reboot, the controller restarts correctly without being damaged. 
My question is, Is there a protection module into the iMX6UL which stops the ethernet controller if ESD discharge happens ?

If not, how can I check if ethernet controller has stopped due to ESD discharge and try to restart it in software ?
Best Regards,
Luc

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Luc

>Is there a protection module into the iMX6UL which stops the ethernet controller if ESD discharge happens ?

no

>how can I check if ethernet controller has stopped due to ESD discharge and try to restart it in software ?

there is no way to find if it caused by ESD discharge or other reasons, probably one can run some

application which checks ethernet controller, for example making loopback and sending/receiving

some test patterns.

In general one can refer to literature devoted to shielding and discharge protection, like listed in

i.MX6 System Development User’s Guide sect.1.4.1General Information"

"The following documentation provides useful information about high-speed board design:

Grounding & Shielding Techniques - Ralph Morrison (5th Edition - John Wiley & Sons) - ISBN 0-471-24518-6"

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX6DQ6SDLHDG.pdf

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos