Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENET PTP 1588 problems / capture register

wolfgang_gaerbe
Contributor II

Hi !

Using imx28 ENET PTP 1588 capture register - we found an intermittent problem:

Mode: 1e9 counting mode, 40MHz clockrate, external pps connected to event capture input

Intermittent, we read out a value from capture register which is wrong by 128xxxxxx nanosecs.

(workaround - ignore timestamps with impossible values)

To round it up, I´d like to repeat the other problems already found / solved:

Another issue already addressed is that we need (with our configuration) a delay by 72ns between setting capture bit in ctrl register and readout of atime.

(a workaround could be to write ctrl register 4 times minimum)

Anyway - reading out the nanosecs stamp can be time consuming using this scheme.

Further we observed that compare events <70ns dont´t trigger the event output / generate an irq.

(workaround - avoid compare values below <100ns)

The example used in imx28 datasheet is based on a 125MHz input clock which is not possible.

Up to now I have no clue how this speed can be accomplished - because an integer divide from 480MHz PLL doesn´t fit.

So we are using /12 and 40MHz clock to operate at nominal speed with 25ns increments - and use the alternate increment+freq for nanosecs correction.

Maybe the mentioned drawbacks don´t exist if running with higher speed.

The linux ptp driver for mx6 was written in a different way -  using free-running 32bit counter.

Maybe people involved into writing that had some knowledge about ptp errata.

I posted this on imx6 group - because this device has similar PTP/ENET circuitry.

Did you observe similar behavior ?

Have you heard of some errata describing this ?

rgds.

Wolfgang Gaerber

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I have been looking for records of similar issues and I have not found any.

I wonder if you can provide a detailed explanation of the steps to follow to reproduce the error.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

0 Kudos