Does the i.MX7D's EIM bus support 8-bit muxed mode?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the i.MX7D's EIM bus support 8-bit muxed mode?

Jump to solution
dan_griscom
Contributor I

I'm using an i.MX7D's EIM bus to communicate with an FPGA. I have EIM_AD00 through EIM_AD09 connected, and was going to configure the EIM as a multiplexed address/data bus (EIM_CS0GCR1:MUM == 1), with the data in the bottom 8 bits of the bus (EIM_CS0GCR1:DSZ == 0x4) in asynchronous mode (EIM_CS0GCR1:SRD == 0 and EIM_CS0GCR1:SWR == 0).

Problem: no matter what I do, the data I read from the bus is all 0s. After much thrashing around, on a lark I tried setting DSZ to 32-bit mode (DSZ == 0x3). Bingo: the bottom 8 bits now show the expected data. So, now I'm wondering if 8-bit multiplexed mode is supported. Looking at the spec sheet and reference manual, I see contradictory statements; sometimes they state or imply that it is, sometimes they state or imply that it isn't. I also tried 16-bit MUXed mode using the low bits of the bus(DSZ == 0x1), and that worked, with the data showing up in the low byte. Strangely, I also got the same results when I set up 16-bit mode using the high bits of the bus (DSZ == 0x2).

Does the i.MX7D's EIM bus support 8-bit multiplexed address/data mode? And, does it make sense that in multiplexed mode DSZ == 0x1 and DSZ == 0x2 give the same results?

(BTW, here's the contents of /proc/cpuinfo:

processor : 0

model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)

BogoMIPS : 16.00

Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm

CPU implementer : 0x41

CPU architecture: 7

CPU variant : 0x0

CPU part : 0xc07

CPU revision : 5

processor : 1

model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)

BogoMIPS : 16.00

Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm

CPU implementer : 0x41

CPU architecture: 7

CPU variant : 0x0

CPU part : 0xc07

CPU revision : 5

Hardware : Freescale i.MX7 Dual (Device Tree)

Revision : 0000

Serial : 0000000000000000

)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Daniel

it is not supported as described in Table 44. EIM internal module multiplexing

i.MX7D Datasheet

http://cache.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/data_sheet/IMX7DCEC.pdf

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Daniel

it is not supported as described in Table 44. EIM internal module multiplexing

i.MX7D Datasheet

http://cache.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/data_sheet/IMX7DCEC.pdf

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
x10
Contributor V

IMX7D EIM can work as 8-bit mux mode with config AD[0..7] pins, and ignore high byte data. 

BR

Cheng Shi

0 Kudos
dan_griscom
Contributor I

I'd seen that, but the text is unfortunately unclear that the displayed modes are the only allowed modes (e.g. the table does not include non-multiplexed DSZ values of 110b and 111b, even though those are explicitly allowed in the reference manual).

Thanks,
Dan

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

reference manual gives general description of IP EIM module, particular

implementation may be different on different chips, which is described in

datasheet for particular processor.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
dan_griscom
Contributor I

Understood, but even the datasheet isn't clear.

Such is life,

Dan

0 Kudos