cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the MFGtool support need to be added in the u-boot and kernel

adityanagal
Contributor III

Hi ,

I am working on the IMX6 solo based design. I am planning to use the MFGtool to program the Nand Flash.

As per the below thread , MFGtool tool support need to be added int the uboot and Linux kernel. u-boot-mfgtool and Linux-mfgtool are generated using Yocto to support the Mfgtool. My question is , when we are running the Mfgtool on the host machine , why this mfgtool support is required in the u-boot and Kernel. Please suggest.

https://community.nxp.com/thread/373773 

Regards,

Aditya Nagal

6 Replies

marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

As any flash programming tool, the host (client side) need to communicate with the target (server side). The client side is the MFGtool GUI part and the server side is a special software (UUC) plus some settings in u-boot.

Basically MFGtool communicates from host to the target via some specific commands implemented in UUC software - UUC is an application which is running firmware on the target device.  It is based on the UTP/USB, receiving and executing the commands from Host side transferred through the <CMD/> defined in ucl2.xml. It should be added into rootfs for MFGTool.

Just take a look to Document\V2\Manufacturing Tool V2 Linux or Android Firmware Development Guide V2.docx inside mfgtool archive to see all the requirements for u-boot, kernel and rootfs.

Thank you,

Marius

xixiguohan
Contributor II

Hi Marius,

Where can I get the UUC software? And how can I add it in my own rootfs?

Could you help me?

Best Regards

xixiguo

0 Kudos

adityanagal
Contributor III

Hi Marius ,

Thank you for your response. My question is , how to flash the UUC first time over the Nand Flash. Or in other words , if UUC is part of my rootfs , then how to flash the rootfs over the NAND Flash.

0 Kudos

marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I'll try to explain how MFGtool both host/client and server is working.

The MFGtool loads the default images (including here the rootfs built with UUC) to RAM and start to execute them from there. After linux is up and running on the target, MFGtool host side will send some commands and your custom nand flash images to the target and these will be written to NAND flash.

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos

adityanagal
Contributor III

Hi Marius ,

Thank you for the explanation. As you mentioned , MFGtool loads the default images (including rootfs built with UUC) to RAM and at this time DDR RAM is not initialized. So I believe , this rootfs with UUC should get copied to SRAM . As SRAM is of very small size , will it be able to accommodate the  rootfs with UUC. Please suggest.

regards,

Aditya Nagal

0 Kudos

marius_grigoras
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry for delay, I was out of office. RAM will be initialized at that point(u-boot contains all the DDR timings in IVT header - and these are read/used for DDR initialization). 

After DDR bring-up, images can be loaded there and run. 

Thank you,

Marius

0 Kudos