Does iMX8M CSI support metadata/embedded data?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does iMX8M CSI support metadata/embedded data?

t_spil
Contributor III

Hello,

We are working with a sensor that outputs a RAW12 (0x2C) image plus Embedded Data (MetaData) (0x12) as shown in the image. We are getting completely correct images from the RAW12 data and now we are trying to get the meta data out in the same data buffer without success. In the reference manual there are a few mentions of the Embedded Data type, but nothing concrete on how to get it out alongside a different data type. Also the meta data is of a different size than that of the normal image. For our application this meta data is important. 

pastedImage_2.png

Does iMX8M CSI support metadata/embedded data? And can it output it in the same data buffer as the rest of the normal image, or is there a different way to get it out?

Thanks,

Twan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

james_kim
Contributor II

Just the metadata. IMX8 only takes one datatype unless fast switching of datatype after captured a metadata.

0 Kudos

james_kim
Contributor II

Now I'm checking it and it turns out that it captures the first line of image data. It's not capturing the metadata line. 

NXP need to answer it. Does NXP verify IMX8 CSI capturing DT (0x12)?

James

0 Kudos

koki_sato
Contributor I

> Now I'm checking it and it turns out that it captures the first line of image data. It's not capturing the metadata line. 

me too.

0 Kudos

james_kim
Contributor II

I can extract one line of metadata.

#define BIT_MIPI_DATA_FORMAT_META (0x12 << 25)

if (pix->height == 1) {
cr18 |= BIT_MIPI_DATA_FORMAT_META;
csi_dev->csi_two_8bit_sensor_mode = false;

}
csi_write(csi_dev, cr18, CSI_CSICR18);

valid_res[] = {

[4] = {1920, 1080},

[5] = {1920, 1},      // metadata

}

0 Kudos

matt_frandsen
Contributor II

Are you able to get one line of metadata and the image? Or just the metadata?

0 Kudos

james_kim
Contributor II

Any more clues? 

This is another dead end?
James

0 Kudos

t_spil
Contributor III

We haven't been able to figure out how to get the meta data out. Instead we developed a workaround. We now trigger the sensor to ascertain the correct frame count, which we needed from the meta data. 

0 Kudos

koki_sato
Contributor I

> Instead we developed a workaround.

How did you get the metadata?

0 Kudos

t_spil
Contributor III

The workaround involves not using the metadata

0 Kudos

matt_frandsen
Contributor II

I would also like to be able to get both image data and the embedded/meta data.  Can you provide some reference on how to "set CSI to receive generic data and store it on memory"?

0 Kudos

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Twan,

CSI will not receive mixed signal (RAW + metadata) and be able to discriminate and handle the RAW data. In order to receive this kind of data, you'll have to set CSI to receive generic data and store it on memory., like you already try it.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos