cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dockerfile for Building Android 12 / Yocto / Debian

max-WL
Contributor I

Hi,

I've read elsewhere on the forums here that NXP intends to release AOSP for Android 12 sometime in the near future.

Would it be possible for NXP to distribute a baseline Dockerfile that contains all of the needed packages to build Android 12 on Ubuntu? This would also be useful for Yocto / Debian builds.

We've created this locally at the company where I work, but it would be interesting to have something upstream to reference besides the User Guide PDFs.

Regards,
Max

0 Kudos
9 Replies

max-WL
Contributor I

That sounds great, any examples would be helpful. If it were part of the Code Aurora repository, even better.

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It is technical issue or a license issue in your mind?

0 Kudos

max-WL
Contributor I

I don't see a technical or license issue here. It's more of a usefulness issue. It would be helpful to have a Dockerfile that matches the environment NXP developers use internally when building AOSP.

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It could be license issue if release the source code not belongs to NXP, those are part of android and Yocto. 

That is why Android always release document and since the BSP release with Yocto. The yocto release is also just document.

there is  no technical issue. 

0 Kudos

max-WL
Contributor I

I'm not sure I understand why it would be an issue for NXP to create and release a Dockerfile that defines the build environment used internally to build Android, Yocto, or Debian?

It'd be less work to maintain than the PDF.

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It is easy to achieve technically.

But very very complicated in license.

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If put the source code inside the docker, who will agree the license? 

and how about the git email address when using git to download the source code?

That is just very tiny part of the license issue. 

and tiny example of the license issue. 

0 Kudos

max-WL
Contributor I

Why would you put source code or a personalized .gitconfig inside the Docker image? That doesn't make sense as it would make more sense to bind mount them or set up a separate Docker volume for them.

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello max-WL,

We are considering the have a docker file for android 12, also we are considering to have it with yocto as well but it will be just the demo image. Thanks for your feedback

Regards