Do you want to run Flash UIs and animations on your i.MX51?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you want to run Flash UIs and animations on your i.MX51?

AnimatedMediaIn
Contributor II
Proven portability. We added support for the i.MX51 platform to our VGK Flash-compatible engine/player in just days. Animated Media’s VGK platform now supports the i.MX51 ARM Cortex A8, Ubuntu Linux, OpenGL 3D GPU, onboard video/audio and touch screen. This is great for Flash-based UIs and apps in automotive, avionics infotainment, STB/DTV, CE devices, smartphones and more. For more information, visit our website at www.animatedmedia.ca or contact us at sales@animatedmedia.ca.
Tags (1)
12 Replies

samuel_sun
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

so there are any binery files be supported to evaluate ? or just install thru the OS ?

0 Kudos

AnimatedMediaIn
Contributor II

Hi Mark:

The .apk file is for Android OS, and you do not specify the OS that you are using.

Also Adobe provides the Flash 10 Player to the OS companies for them to bundle with the release, or to download and install separately.  The VGK Platform is a Flash 10 compatible package that is available for the i.mx51 platform.  I can be reached at ChrisBrady@animatedmedia.ca

0 Kudos

AnimatedMediaIn
Contributor II
Glad to see the Gnash version is working for you Christophe. Since I do not know how Flash is being used in your system, and the approval process seems to come with some strict guidelines, contact me at ChrisBrady@animatedmedia.ca to learn how the VGK platform can provide GPU acceleration, and very fast ActionScript support.
0 Kudos

udragon
Contributor I
This is the news I was hoping for ! ;-) I've downloaded Gnash and ran the SWF and they both run fine on my Lnx machine. As soon as our board is up and running I'll test it in the framebuffer version. Rob Savoye said:
Christophe Cap said:
Sound great !
Another question that pops up : Is Gnash taking advantage of the OpenVG hardware acceleration support provided in the i.MX35 ?
One of the tasks I mentioned is to finish both OpenVG and OpenGLES2 renderers for Gnash. This work is already in progress. We also have support for hardware video decoding of h.264 that is also being enhanced for the ARM.
0 Kudos

RobSavoye
Contributor II
Christophe Cap said:
Sound great !
Another question that pops up : Is Gnash taking advantage of the OpenVG hardware acceleration support provided in the i.MX35 ?
One of the tasks I mentioned is to finish both OpenVG and OpenGLES2 renderers for Gnash. This work is already in progress. We also have support for hardware video decoding of h.264 that is also being enhanced for the ARM.
0 Kudos

udragon
Contributor I
Sound great ! Another question that pops up : Is Gnash taking advantage of the OpenVG hardware acceleration support provided in the i.MX35 ?
0 Kudos

RobSavoye
Contributor II
Christophe Cap said:
We were also considering Gnash, however we're a bit worried about compatibility and stability.

Our device will be running 24/24 7/7 and must have snappy performance.

What about memory footprint/requirements ?

Besides that, also 'pixel perfect' design is important to us. The gui design is created bij our 'design' department and they tend to be very strict about approving our implentation.

Best regards & thanks for the info !
Gnash was originally designed as the UI for a digital stereo system, which also runs 24/7 using the standalone player. Many other companies use Gnash on embedded devices where performance and footprint are important. We've worked hard at eliminating all memory leaks and bloating, tough with the flash format which has too many circular dependencies. Performance wise, we're roughly compatible, and often better than the Adobe player. We have current tasks to do several ARM specific improvements. Now for compatibility, Gnash is avm1/as2 compatible so far, roughly most swf v9 files work. For a UI this is less of a problem than as a browser plugin, because you can tweak your flash code to be fully compatible. Compatibility is important, so Gnash tries to have the same buggy functionally as the Adobe player. :-) Visually you should see no difference. If you want, contact me off list, and I can test your swf file with Gnash, or you can grab a recent package of 0.8.8 from most GNU/Linux distributions to test it yourself.
0 Kudos

udragon
Contributor I
We were also considering Gnash, however we're a bit worried about compatibility and stability. Our device will be running 24/24 7/7 and must have snappy performance. What about memory footprint/requirements ? Besides that, also 'pixel perfect' design is important to us. The gui design is created bij our 'design' department and they tend to be very strict about approving our implentation. Best regards & thanks for the info !
0 Kudos

RobSavoye
Contributor II
Christophe Cap said:
Is there Flash UI support available for the i.MX356/7 ?
I've run Gnash on a variety of ARM processors, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on the i.MX356/7 as a UI. I don't know about VGK.
0 Kudos

udragon
Contributor I
Is there Flash UI support available for the i.MX356/7 ?
0 Kudos

AnimatedMediaIn
Contributor II
Wow, very impressive to have Rob Savoye reply. Rob has made an enormous contribution to Gnash, and we are very appreciative of the work done because it educated people that Flash could run on platforms not supported by Adobe Flash. Gnash is a very popular Flash compatible player, running on a vast number of linux devices. The VGK platform is designed and developed by AMI's software team to be an innovative alternative to the Adobe Flash player. The VGK turns the Flash player architecture inside out so that animations can be added to existing applications, preserves the software investment, adds 2D and 3D GPU acceleration, and has a very innovative way to accelerate ActionScript by over 500 times. Looking at the Adobe Flash architecture from a systems point of view, we decided a completely new architecture was required to achieve the target performance, stability and portability required for the resource constrained portable, embedded devices. There are a lot of reasons to use Gnash and Adobe Flash, just as there are a lot of reasons to use the VGK platform. More choice benefits all customers.
0 Kudos

RobSavoye
Contributor II
The Gnash flash player also support flash based UIs that you can create using the Adobe tools. Gnash handles HD video, Youtube, and much other flash content on the web. It runs both standalone, and as a plugin for many browsers. It is currently used as the UI for stereos, digital video production, and mobile devices. Gnash runs on a large variety of embedded hardware, and can be cross compiled. Gnash also support extensions to ActionScript that the developer can add custom classes to better tie the flash file to the hardware platform. Since Gnash is a GNU free software project, developers have the ability to modify the source when necessary. For more information on the Gnash project, go to http://www.gnashdev.org, or email gnash-dev@gnu.org, or drop into #gnash on irc.freenode.net.