Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable screen blanking on i.MX6 running Yocto

Jump to solution
marlonsmith
Contributor IV

Hi everyone,

I'm running a Yocto build on an i.MX6 board and I'm trying to stop the screen from shutting off after 15 minutes of inactivity.  I've tried the following things with no success:

- passing consoleblank=0 to bootargs

- modifying drivers/tty/vt/vt.c with static int blankinterval = 0;

Neither of these has had any effect.

cat /sys/module/kernel/parameters/consoleblank returns a value of 900.

My system does not have setterm.

Please help!

Thanks

Marlon

Tags (2)
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Marlon,

Perhaps the problem concerns with the fact, that the mentioned command(s) should be

issued, when all Linux sub-systems are working.  As a solution, one can run (own) special

application (at start up), which should issue the command ("echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank")

after some period of time (several munutes).

~Yuri.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please try the following :

echo -e -n '\033[9]' > /dev/tty0

or

echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fbx/blank

fbx - is number of framebuffer (LCD, LVDS, HDMI), x =0,1,2

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marlonsmith
Contributor IV

Yuri, I've tried both of your suggestions and neither of them is working.  The screen still goes blank after 15 minutes.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Marlon

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please try using command  "echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank" under root.

~Yuri.

0 Kudos
marlonsmith
Contributor IV

Yuri, if I run that command after the screen has shut off, it does turn the screen back on.  So it seems I'm on the right track.  However when I run the command in a script on startup it does not seem to prevent the screen from blanking eventually.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Marlon,

Perhaps the problem concerns with the fact, that the mentioned command(s) should be

issued, when all Linux sub-systems are working.  As a solution, one can run (own) special

application (at start up), which should issue the command ("echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank")

after some period of time (several munutes).

~Yuri.

0 Kudos
marlonsmith
Contributor IV

Thanks for the help Yuri.  What finally solved the problem was calling

echo -e '\033[9;0]' > /dev/tty1

from within my application, which runs once the rest of the system has been started.

Marlon

0 Kudos
marlonsmith
Contributor IV

Thanks for the response Yuri!

I forgot that I had also already tried echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fbx/blank, but I will try echo -e -n '\033[9]' > /dev/tty0 and see if that works.

0 Kudos