Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demonstrate video on SABRE SD board

Jump to solution
ioancalapod
Contributor II

Hi All

I would like to demonstrate/run a video on the SABRE SD in both Linux and Android.

Here are few questions:

1) What images (BSP) should I use for this purpose and where do I find them? Do I need to build them? (bitbake takes really long on my machine)

2) How do I bring/copy the actual video in? Using the SD card? If yes, how.

Appreciate your help.

Best Regards, Ioan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ioan,

If you don't want to compile the images, you could download the Android or Linux demo images for regenerating the SD cards using Linux dd command or the MFGtool on Windows. Please refer to the “DEMO_BSPs” downloadable from “Operating System Software-Board Support Packages” section of the following link:

SABRE for Smart Devices Reference Design|Freescale

You could use the Linux dd command in the following way:

$ sudo dd if=<image name>.sdcard of=/dev/sd<partition> bs=1M && sync

For more information, you could refer to section 6.1 “Flashing an SD card image” of “Freescale Yocto Project User's Guide” document. For the MFGtool usage, please refer to section 4.2.2 “Using MFGTool” of “i.MX Linux User's Guide” document.

On Linux, after flashing the image on the SD card, you could unmount it and then mount it again, and you could copy (with root privileges) the video to the larger partition of the SD card (on the Root File System).

On Android, you could connect the micro USB cable of the board to the PC, and copy&paste the files to the MTP device (or Mass Storage) similar to using an Android phone.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
satishvenkatesh
Contributor I

Hi carlos, i am working on imx6 sabre board quad. I want to know how to access the sd card  and my task is to display a video using the HDMI port. Can you guide me through this.

Thanks Carlos

0 Kudos
CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ioan,

If you don't want to compile the images, you could download the Android or Linux demo images for regenerating the SD cards using Linux dd command or the MFGtool on Windows. Please refer to the “DEMO_BSPs” downloadable from “Operating System Software-Board Support Packages” section of the following link:

SABRE for Smart Devices Reference Design|Freescale

You could use the Linux dd command in the following way:

$ sudo dd if=<image name>.sdcard of=/dev/sd<partition> bs=1M && sync

For more information, you could refer to section 6.1 “Flashing an SD card image” of “Freescale Yocto Project User's Guide” document. For the MFGtool usage, please refer to section 4.2.2 “Using MFGTool” of “i.MX Linux User's Guide” document.

On Linux, after flashing the image on the SD card, you could unmount it and then mount it again, and you could copy (with root privileges) the video to the larger partition of the SD card (on the Root File System).

On Android, you could connect the micro USB cable of the board to the PC, and copy&paste the files to the MTP device (or Mass Storage) similar to using an Android phone.

Best regards!
/Carlos

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
ioancalapod
Contributor II

Hi Carlos

Can you point me to one BSP demo for Linux and one BSP demo for Android.

I looked at the link you sent me and is not obvious at all which one I should pick in order to run the video demo...

Thanks, Ioan

0 Kudos
CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ioan,

On the following image is highlighted the demo BSP of the most recent releases, Android 5.0 and Linux 3.14.28:

BSPs.png

Best regards!

/Carlos

0 Kudos
ioancalapod
Contributor II

Hi Carlos

Hope all is well.

Thanks again for your answers. Always accurate.

This is why I am writing to you again.

I was able to create successfully an SD card to boot in for the Android BSP. Yeyyyy!☺ (played video, images and mp3 files!)

Unfortunately I am not at all successful when it comes to the Linux 3.14.28 BSP…

I am following the “i.MX Linux® User's Guide , Rev. L3.14.28_1.0.0-ga, 04/2015” to the letter but there is no way to get it to work based on a .sdcard image…

Is there a way, tested and true, to get a working SD card, to boot into, for this Linux BSP?

Thanks for your help, again.

Best Regards, Ioan

Ioan Calapod, Eng.

Field Application Engineer

Arrow Electronics Montreal

0 Kudos
CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ioan,

It seems that this issue was already solved on your other thread, isn't it?

Best regards!

/Carlos

0 Kudos
ioancalapod
Contributor II

Thanks so much Carlos!

Have a great weekend.

Best Regards, Ioan

Ioan Calapod, Eng.

Field Application Engineer

Arrow Electronics Montreal

1425 Trans Canada Highway, Suite 140

Dorval, Quebec H9P 2W9

Mobile: (514) 730-5766

Direct: (514) 421-4384

Email: icalapod@arrow.com<mailto:icalapod@arrow.com>

Look for parts at: http://parts.arrow.com/

0 Kudos
jamesmonczynsk1
Contributor I

I'm doing the same thing.

I am using Big Buck Bunny:

Big Buck Bunny » Download

I also use the stock video player and MX Player (side loaded).

Also nice to side-load a file manager to select movie of choice.

On a windows machine, and USB connected to the USG OTG port, you have the ability to copy movies directly to SD Card.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
ioancalapod
Contributor II

Thanks Carlos

Very good and complete answer.

Thanks again!

Much appreciated!

Best Regards, Ioan

0 Kudos