cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date and Time resets after system restart

alexanderkozlov
Contributor II

Hi!

I recieved i.MX53 QSB and try it using preinstalled Ubuntu 10.04. But I found that I cannot really change Date and Time because it resets to 1970-01-01 03:00:00 on every system reboot.

I tried to set date and time manually using linux 'date' command and then syncronized it using 'hwclock'. I also tried to set location and Date/Time in GUI.

But date and time resets every restart at all.

Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander

0 Kudos
8 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The main different between MX53QSB and MX53QSB-R is the PMIC. MX53QSB is using DA9053 and QSB-R is using MC34708. So for the MX53QSB, only can use the SRTC in MX53. You can read these for reference.

https://community.freescale.com/message/294198#294198

https://community.freescale.com/message/281071#281071

For the QSB-R, you can use the RTC in MC34708 instead of MX53's SRTC. You can read this for reference.

https://community.freescale.com/message/294200#294200

In the MX53QSB web page, you can download the patch file which has added the support of MC34708.

IMX53_LINUX_1109_BSP_PATCH

0 Kudos

mbp
Contributor V

Jimmychan,

Is this issue also in the MX51-EVK ?  And are the resolutions similar?  If not can you point the way?

We are seeing random date & time resets to 1-1-1970 - not every power-down only occasionally and we maintain the Supercap.

Thanks,

mike

0 Kudos

alexanderkozlov
Contributor II

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos

JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alexander,

The MX53 RTC needs a specific power down sequence for the processor to be able to keep the contents. This is currently being documented, so we don't have info yet, what I can say is that this power down sequence is not implemented in the QSB, so if you are using the MX53 RTC, it will most likely lose its contents when the PMIC shuts it down. A good workaround is to use the PMIC RTC, for this you have to change your drivers. Please note that, as gusarambula pointed out, it'll need a backup battery to keep its contents in case you are removing power from the board.

Best regards.

Jorge.

0 Kudos

MaxChou
Contributor III

Hi  Sirs.

When this doc will be released ?

I use i.MX53 SRTC, RTC data will be lose about 1/200.

"The MX53 RTC needs a specific power down sequence for the processor to be able to keep the contents. This is currently being documented"

0 Kudos

alexanderkozlov
Contributor II

Thanks for the info!

I've looked over the internet and found that this problem is solved on IMX53 Quick Start -R board. Is it true?

0 Kudos

JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alexander,

If it is, the RTC of the system whould have had to be changed in SW. Unfortunately I'm focused in HW, so I can't tell.

Community:

Anyone who can help checking this in SW, please? We are wondering if the MX53 QSB-R drivers use the RTC in the MX53 or the PMIC.

Thanks!

Jorge.

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Alexander!

This might sound like a silly question but are you finding the clock to be reset when the board power is shut down or also when performing soft-resets? This board doesn’t come with RTC battery so this should be the first variable to take into consideration.

Regards,

Gustavo

0 Kudos