cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDR3L interface with Fly-by topology

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi,

I have made board with DDR3L design using 32bit, I have done routing with Fly-by topology but I have not added bus termination resistor in my design.
Can you please tell me what will be the effect on the board and how can I solve this issue?
Regards,
Mrudang
Labels (2)
7 Replies

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Typically, if no more than 4 memory chips is used and the PCB traces impedance is matched to 50 Ohm for single-ended signals and to 100 Ohm for differential pairs, the VTT termination is not required even when using the fly-by topology. In other case, the only way to fix the possible DDR bus issues is to redesign the PCB layout to add the VTT termination circuit.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi Artur,

Thanks for the reply.

I have used 2  x DDR3L - 16 bit (Total system 32 bit) with Fly-by topology. And both are on TOP side only.

Please see attached image for your reference.

It means that my design will work without any issue though I don't kept bus termination resistors.

The fabrication of oard is done and it is in assembly preocess.

Regards,

Mrudang

2 x DDR3L to iMX6D.bmp

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Most likely, it will work without any issue.

Best Regards,

Artur

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi Artur,

Thanks for reply.

Parallally I am working on similar board which has iMX6Q with 4 x DDR3L (MT41K512M16HA-125:A) (Total density = 4GB).

1. Can you please suggest me which is the right topology to rout DDR3L?
  2. Since I am using 4 DDR3L do I need to provide bus termination resistor support?

Provide me your valuable answer.

Regards,

Mrudang

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. The preferred topology for 4 memory chips with i.MX6 series processors is T-type. Please follow the design of the i.MX6 SABRE SD board.

2. No VTT termination is required in case of 4 memory chips with T topology routing.

Best Regards,

Artur

0 Kudos

rahulsoni
Contributor II

Hi Artur

I'm  designing a board which can contain i.MX6 Quad, i.MX6 duallite and i.MX6 Solo in the same PCB. 

When using Quad, we'll put 4 x DDR3L (MT41K512M16HA-125:A) (Total density = 4GB).

When using duallite we'll put  2 x DDR3L (MT41K512M16HA-125:A) (Total density = 2GB). making other 2 DDR3L no mount.

When using Solo we'll put  1 x DDR3L (MT41K512M16HA-125:A) (Total density = 1GB). making other 3 DDR3L no mount.

My doubt is that if I go with balanced T topology, will there be noise due to the stubs which will be there in the absence of 3 DDR3L RAMs (As in i.MX6 Solo configuration, the PCB remains same and only 1 DDR is populated)?

Or should I go with Flyby topology keeping all four RAMs on top layer? 

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right in that populating only one DDR chip on balanced T-topology bus may affect the signal integrity due to signal reflection on unused trace stubs. In this case, actually, the Fly-by topology seems to be more appropriate.

Best Regards,

Artur