Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDR RPA tool for iMX8QM

Jump to solution
rkohli2000
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm looking for the DDR RPA (Register programming aid) tool compatible with SCFW 1.5.0 (or newer) and Linux BSP 5.4.24-2.1.0 for iMX8QM MEK. This is for a custom user (MEK) board with a new DDR part I'm trying to initialize. I plan to use the "MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v21.xlsx" file from the DDR test tool to help generate initialization scripts.

Please share the RPA how-to info or user guide for using this tool and any gotchas for the SCFW build, etc.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi rkohli2000

yes MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v21.xlsx can be used for that BSP version.

Unfortunately I am not aware of user guides for using RPA tool, in general it has self-explanatory

fields. For  SCFW build one can look at below link and documentation included in  SCFW Porting Kit​

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX8-Boot-process-and-creating-a-bootab...

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
vinothkumars
Senior Contributor IV

@rkohli2000, Will you please provide the steps, I need same for IMX8QM-MEK

Regards,
Vinothkumar Sekar
0 Kudos
rkohli2000
Contributor III

Hi Vinoth,

The RPA (register programming aid) tool latest version 23 is available at:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-8-8X-Family-DDR-Tools-Release/ta-p/...

It's a spreadsheet that can be used to populate the corresponding header file for the SCFW Cfg header file. It's self explanatory and populates all the defaults for you. Very useful and easy to use. You can try it. The only gotcha may be the tricky white space that may creep into your header file. Good luck.

Please note:

Match BSP version with the correct matching RPA version.

Regards

Ravi

0 Kudos
vinothkumars
Senior Contributor IV

Thank you @rkohli2000 for the reply.

After getting DDR value from excel sheet (MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v23) where I have to give this value in source file to initialize the DDR 

Regards,
Vinothkumar Sekar
0 Kudos
vinothkumars
Senior Contributor IV

@rkohli2000 , @igorpadykov 

I need some info from the contents,

DDR Stress Test script: This format is used specifically with the DDR stress test. In
this scenario, the user copies the contents in this work sheet tab and paste it to a
document, naming the document with the “.ds” file extension. The user will later
select this file when executing the DDR stress test.

=> This is the clear, We have to configure proper DDR controller and details and we got CBT file and copied to .ds and start ddr stress test.

DCD CFG file: This format is the configuration file used specifically by the SCFW. In
this scenario, the user copies the contents in this work sheet tab and paste it to a
document, naming the document with the “.cfg” file extension and placing this file in
the appropriate SCFW board file directory.

=> SCFW board file directory, I am not clear about this. which file do I needs to configure for IMX8QM_MEK android pie platform

Regards,
Vinothkumar Sekar
0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Vinothkumar

please look at    SCFW Porting Kit​

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
vinothkumars
Senior Contributor IV

Hi @igorpadykov 

I need old RPA tool (v17) for L4.14.98 with SCFW 2.1.1 firmware for IMX8QM_MEK. Will you please send to me.

Regards,
Vinothkumar Sekar
0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
vinothkumars
Senior Contributor IV

Thank you @igorpadykov 

Regards,
Vinothkumar Sekar
0 Kudos
vinothkumars
Senior Contributor IV

Thank you @igorpadykov for the quick reply.

I am using the following tool for current kernel version L4.14.98.

L4.14.98_2.0.0_SCFWKIT-1.2

for SCFW 1.2 I have to use - MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v20.xlsx Am I right ?

The stress test pass by using .ds file copied from this excel sheet

I copied .cfg content, replaced with default once and I compiled with SCFWKIT-1.2. Able to flash and boot with this this DDR.

1. packages/imx-scfw-porting-kit-1.2/src/scfw_export_mx8qm_b0/platform/board/mx8qm_mek/dcd/ imx8qm_dcd_1.6GHz.cfg
  2. cp build_mx8qm_b0/scfw_tcm.bin ${MY_ANDROID}/vendor/nxp/fsl-proprietary/uboot-firmware/imx8q_car/mx8qm-scfw-tcm.bin
  3. Build bootloader

These are the DDR value initialization steps.

I want to know is everything is right or wrong ?

Regards,
Vinothkumar Sekar
0 Kudos
vinothkumars
Senior Contributor IV

Hi @igorpadykov , @rkohli2000 

Will you please share MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v17.xlsx (or) MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v18.xlsx (or) MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v19.xlsx

I unable to find out the old RPA Tool to the SCFW 1.2.1 with L4.14.98 BSP.

Regards,
Vinothkumar Sekar
0 Kudos
rkohli2000
Contributor III

Hi Vinothkumar,

For the iMX8QM platform the earliest RPA available appears to be version 19 that is compatible with version SCFW1.3 and BSP L5_4_3_1.0.0. I don't see any RPA for 4.14.98 BSP. Maybe moving to a newer BSP is worth the advantage of using RPA/DDR stress test tools.  

Regards

Ravi

0 Kudos
rkohli2000
Contributor III

Sorry, I misunderstood the tool earlier.

I was expecting a new standalone "NXP RPA tool" that ingests the spreadsheet (MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v21.xlsx).

Now, I see the separate Excel tabs labelled "DCD CFG file CBT" and "DCD Stress Test Script CBT".

Are these 2 tabs updated with the code I need to copy/paste to the SCFW porting kit file: packages\imx-scfw-porting-kit-1.5.0\src\scfw_export_mx8qm_b0\platform\board\mx8qm_mek\dcd\imx8qm_dcd_1.6GHz.cfg and input file for the DDR Stress test tool (.ds) respectively ?

Thanks a lot for the help.

0 Kudos
vinothkumars
Senior Contributor IV

Yes @rkohli2000 

I copied the DCD CFG file CBT  section to .ds file and add in DDR stress test tool. Stress test pass

I copied the DDR Stress Test Script CBT section to .cfg and build scfw and load to u-boot firmware section. Able to flash and boot

Regards,
Vinothkumar Sekar
0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think you are right, general steps are described in

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
rkohli2000
Contributor III

That's great. Thank you Igor.

Regards

Ravi

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi rkohli2000

yes MX8QM_B0_LPDDR4_RPA_1.6GHz_v21.xlsx can be used for that BSP version.

Unfortunately I am not aware of user guides for using RPA tool, in general it has self-explanatory

fields. For  SCFW build one can look at below link and documentation included in  SCFW Porting Kit​

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX8-Boot-process-and-creating-a-bootab...

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos