cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create SD card to boot MCIMX6SX-SDB board issue

lesu
Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to create SD card to boot but failed.

Hardware:

MCIMX6SX-SDB

i.MX 6SoloX SABRE Development Board|NXP 

1.When using the out-of-box 8GB SanDisk SD card with EVB(With Linux_L4.1.14 1.0.0), the board can be boot and log can

be find from UART terminal.

2.I downloaded the i.MX 6SoloX Linux Binary Demo Files from below URL, file name is L4.1.15_2.0.0_iMX6SX(REV L4.1.15_2.0.0)

Embedded Linux for i.MX Applications Processors|NXP 

3. Following the document to create the SD boot card:

a. Following 4.3.3 Partitioning the SD/MMC card from the i.MX_Linux_User's_Guide.pdf to setup the partitions.

b. Copying a bootloader image by using

sudo dd if=u-boot-imx6sxsabresd_sd.imx of=/dev/sdd bs=512 seek=2 conv=fsync

Have checked the SD card is sdd by using cat /proc/partitions command.

c. using this card, still cannot boot. keep the hardware unchanged and use the out-of-box 8GB SanDisk SD card with

EVB, the board can be boot.

4. Please kindly check attached files for more information,

Would you please help to check:

1.Which u-boot file should be used for boot the MCIMX6SX-SDB board, am I using the correct one?

2.The dd command writes RAW data in the card, how to confirm the u-boot data is successfully written into the card?

3. I also try copy the zImage and *.dtb file in the sdd1 partition but still failed. But I think this step is not needed because uboot can start without kernel files.

Please kindly let me know if you need more details.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Lei

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lesu
Contributor II

Hi igor,

Thanks for your kindly help.

I have tested your method but still failed.

Today I did more test about the SD card. I am using  microSD card with SD card adapter.

pastedImage_3.png

After boot the board with the out-of-box 8GB SanDisk SD card from EVB SD4 slot, insert the microSD card with adapter into SD3 slot, log as below:

pastedImage_1.png

issue log:

root@imx6sx_all:~# mmc2: card never left busy state
mmc2: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

Seems the microSD card cannot be detected by the board.

I also tested by using MFG tool:

1. Remove all SD card.

2. Power on the board, then insert the microSD card with adapter into SD4 slot.

3. Run the mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabresd-sdcard-sd4.vbs script file, log as below:

pastedImage_2.png

The log shows polling init sd card failed and polling the sd card continuously.

I have tested 2 micro SD cards with same issue. BUT, the micro SD cards with adapter can be used on my windows and Ubuntu Host.

Would you please help to check:

1. Would you please explain the details about the log issue?

2.Does the  MCIMX6SX-SDB's SD slot cannot work with microSD? what is the reason, the SD controller driver ability or EVB layout issue?

I will try to buy a new SD card same with the out-of-box 8GB SanDisk one , do more test and update.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Lei

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lei

in general this may be layout issue, also not all sd manufactures strictly follow sd

specifications, suggest to use brand new card from well known vendors.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

lesu
Contributor II

Hi igor,

Today i tried to use en SD card instead of TF card with adapter, use same method and can boot the board.

Although feel confused but this case can be closed.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Lei

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lei

correct is u-boot-imx6sxsabresd_sd.imx, also one can try to program full image using

sect.4.3.2 Copying the full SD card image attached Linux Guide. There is option to

program images with Mfg Tool (put new images in /files folder) found on

i.MX Software|NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos