cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling WS2812B LED Strip From IMX6SL over PWM

sandeepajesh
Contributor III

Hi NXP,

We want to control WS2812B Led Strip from IMX6SL SOC over PWM . I am planning to use the EPDC_SDCE2/I2C3_SCL/PWM1OUT  line of iMX6 to do this job. We have also made the necessary changes to the DTS file to use this pin as PWM. Linux driver currently being loaded is pwm-imx.

To drive this LED strip we need to send 24-Bit patterns at 800kHz with a delay of 50us for each LED on the strip.

My queries below:-

1) Can you please let us know that imx6sl pwm output would be able to drive this LED strip?

2) Can you please let us know which user mode driver in kernel is responsible for controlling brightness of the LED's over pwm. Had this tried before?

3) Is Hardware DMA mandate to drive this LED strip?

4) Can you please Let us know the clock configuration to drive this LED over pwm?

References:- 

1) LED:- https://acrobotic.com/datasheets/WS2812B.pdf 

Regards

Sandeep S

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sandeep

I am not aware of use cases with that LED strip, seems one can try

pwm-backlight i.MX6SL EVK driver

linux-2.6-imx.git - Freescale i.MX Linux Tree 

please refer to description in Chapter 47 Pulse-Width Modulator (PWM) Driver

attached Linux Manual.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

sandeepajesh
Contributor III

Hi Igor

Thanks for the reference.

We need to generate 800Khz on PWM2 out. Can you please help us in configuring this. I mean PWM register configuration.

Regards

Sandeep S

0 Kudos