cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring the i.MX53 QSB HDMI Output Resolution

StevenJ_Ackerma
Contributor I

Hello-

I have received my i.MX53 Quick Start Board and HDMI interface.  I am able to enable the HDMI output in uBoot and it displays on my HDMI monitor.

However, my monitor indicates that the generated HDMI signal is 1024x768 60Hz - which is not 1080P60.

How can I configure the generated HDMI resolution to 1920x1080 60Hz - 1080P60 which is supposedly a capability of the i.MX53 ?

Are the supported resolutions documented somewhere ?

Can the HDMI output driver configure the resolution for the attached monitor by querying the monitor capabilities via the interface ?

Old hand at embedded development but relatively new to Linux. Thanks for any assistance and / or pointers.

Steven J. Ackerman, Consultant

ACS, Sarasota, FL

http://www.acscontrol.com

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies

Niranjan
Contributor I

Hi all,

If somebody know information request you to share.

Request any suggestions and pointers to get external Full HD, 1080p on HDMI port for i.MX53 SABRE tablet?

regards

Niranjan

0 Kudos

StevenJ_Ackerma
Contributor I

Niranjan-

Sorry I can't help you with this. I'm a Linux newbie, and haven't been back on this for over one year.  Perhaps some of the other respondents to this thread can help you.

ACS, Sarasota, FL
0 Kudos

Niranjan
Contributor I

Hello Steven,

I am trying to configure external display to Full HD TV (Full HD, 1080p) on i.MX53 freescale SABRE tablet.

In the linux source which i am using has these values for video modes

ltib/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.35.3/arch/arm/mach-mx5/mx53_ard.c

static struct fb_videomode video_modes[] = {
        {
         /* 800x480 @ 57 Hz , pixel clk @ 27MHz */
         "CLAA-WVGA", 57, 800, 480, 37037, 40, 60, 10, 10, 20, 10,
         FB_SYNC_CLK_LAT_FALL,
         FB_VMODE_NONINTERLACED,
         0,},
        {
        /* 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz 162M pixel clk*/
        "UXGA", 60, 1600, 1200, 6172,
        304, 64,
        1, 46,
        192, 3,
        FB_SYNC_HOR_HIGH_ACT|FB_SYNC_VERT_HIGH_ACT,
        FB_VMODE_NONINTERLACED,
        0,},
};

do i need to add static struct fb_videomode to

{

"1080P60", 60, 1920, 1080, 7692,

100, 40,

30, 3,

10, 2,

FB_VMODE_NONINTERLACED,

0,},

or

u-boot arguments are enough to get Full HD 1080p on HDMI port?

In this case what would be my u-boot setting to get output as Full HD, 1080p on HDMI port?

Request any suggestions and pointers to get external Full HD, 1080p on HDMI port for i.MX53 SABRE tablet?

regards

Niranjan

0 Kudos

WeiWeiBo
Contributor II

Hi

Daiane Angolini 

thx your reply

I might took a mistake about the release notes

My release notes is shown as below attached (file name : Release Notes r4.2.pdf)

I check many times,but still not sure,from the release page.15 say the HDMI output can support just 720p & 1080p these two resolution

So,In case of  the HDMI just support these two resolution,could I have any chance to write panel timing program (like write horizontal & vertical pixel ) add into kernel support my panel resolution (1024*600 & 1280*800)

Really thx help kindly

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Lan Bo Wei said:

Hi 

Steven J. Ackerman & Daiane Angolini 

I also have the same question about how to use the HDMI output to match my LCD monitor resolution(1024*600 & 1280*800) on i.MX53QSB

my OS is android 2.3.4 which is use ADENEO (http://www.adeneo-embedded.com/en/Products/Board-Support-Packages/F...) provided BSP, now I have already setup the system, afterward want to

use HDMI board to output above two resolution

The release notes was not from Adeneo package. Please, take a look on your own release notes in order to see if EDID is supported on your image.

so according to  Daiane Angolini said if my panel have the EDID code for the above resolution

when I turn on the i.MX53QSB , is it will be fetch the video mode add into di0 FB mode list successfully?

by the way, could Daiane Angolini explain the di0 FB mode for me kindly? 

What do you mean? 

Do you mean this:

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt

really thx~~

Steven J. Ackerman said:

Daiane Angolini said:

From release notes (QSB - 11.03):

Used when need enable HDMI output,after enable hdmi, the sii902x driverwill try to fetch video modes by readingEDID, if succeed, these video modeswill be added into di0 FB mode list.

So, yes, HDMI driver can do what you need.

Awesome - thank you for your reply !

ACS, Sarasota, FL

0 Kudos

WeiWeiBo
Contributor II

Hi 

Steven J. Ackerman & Daiane Angolini 

I also have the same question about how to use the HDMI output to match my LCD monitor resolution(1024*600 & 1280*800) on i.MX53QSB

my OS is android 2.3.4 which is use ADENEO (http://www.adeneo-embedded.com/en/Products/Board-Support-Packages/Freescale-i.MX53-QSB) provided BSP, now I have already setup the system, afterward want to

use HDMI board to output above two resolution

so according to  Daiane Angolini said if my panel have the EDID code for the above resolution

when I turn on the i.MX53QSB , is it will be fetch the video mode add into di0 FB mode list successfully?

by the way, could Daiane Angolini explain the di0 FB mode for me kindly? 

really thx~~

Steven J. Ackerman said:

Daiane Angolini said:

Used when need enable HDMI output,after enable hdmi, the sii902x driverwill try to fetch video modes by readingEDID, if succeed, these video modeswill be added into di0 FB mode list.

ACS, Sarasota, FL

0 Kudos

StevenJ_Ackerma
Contributor I
Iain Galloway (Future) said:

I also wanted to post this email snippet in this thread for future reference:

because the original uboot argument (top of thread) didn't quite work correctly.

For HDMI out:

setenv bootargs_mmc 'setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait video=mxcdi1fb: YUV444, 1080P30 di1_primary tve'
Correct syntax is required, so it would be best to cut and paste the boot arg right into their terminal.
If he saved the boot environment variables then I would have them clear up the bootargs_base variable first:
setenv bootargs_base

2) There would not be a valid HDMI output if the proper fb driver is not called out.
3) In u-boot, printenv
     to confirm how the arguments are set...

Sorry this didn't work for you - it works for me, exactly as written.
ACS, Sarasota, FL
0 Kudos

iafg
Contributor IV

I also wanted to post this email snippet in this thread for future reference:

because the original uboot argument (top of thread) didn't quite work correctly.

For HDMI out:

setenv bootargs_mmc 'setenv bootargs ${bootargs} root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rw rootwait video=mxcdi1fb: YUV444, 1080P30 di1_primary tve'
Correct syntax is required, so it would be best to cut and paste the boot arg right into their terminal.
If he saved the boot environment variables then I would have them clear up the bootargs_base variable first:
setenv bootargs_base

2) There would not be a valid HDMI output if the proper fb driver is not called out.
3) In u-boot, printenv
     to confirm how the arguments are set...

0 Kudos

iafg
Contributor IV

It can be humbling enough to post publicly and remind ourselves how much we don't 'quite' know.

I'd like to encourage everyone to be brave enough to share questions, answers, failings, goof-ups and thoughts.

We all gain by continuing to learn!

0 Kudos

NeilSimpson
Contributor I
I think we also serve the community by sportingly exhibiting our own idiocy here so that other users may recognise their own failings by our example.  And in six months when I am an i.MX guru I'll be able to come back here and look at these old posts while chuckling ruefully over a glass of Laphroaig and a large cuban.
0 Kudos

StevenJ_Ackerma
Contributor I
Neil Simpson said:

Thanks for the reply.

I think I might be guilty of not "RTFM" - the i.MX53 START manual does say only 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are supported on VGA.  I need to go HDMI or LVDS to get the big stuff.

Thanks.

Ah yes - RTFM. That is usually my standard response. The other being "Use the source Luke"...

But then this thread is indicative of my not following my own advice...

0 Kudos

NeilSimpson
Contributor I

Thanks for the reply.

I think I might be guilty of not "RTFM" - the i.MX53 START manual does say only 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are supported on VGA.  I need to go HDMI or LVDS to get the big stuff.

Thanks.

Steven J. Ackerman said:

Neil Simpson said:

Thanks for the post, this is very helpful for a newbie like me!

I am using the supplied Ubuntu Lucid installation and would like to test out 1080p.  I have changed 'XGA' to 'SXGA' in the boot arguments (as above) and that works fine giving me 1280x1024, but when I try '1080P60' the display fails to start.  I am using VGA on port 1 rather than LVDS on port 0 - should this still work?  I cannot find a list of supported modes - what other modes should work on VGA?

Neil-

I don't believe that 1080P60 is a VGA supported resolution. Here's a list of the 'standard' VGA resolutions and timing:

http://www.tinyvga.com/vga-timing

Perhaps somebody else can respond to answer your question about what modes are supported on the i.MX53 QSB VGA.

ACS, Sarasota, FL

0 Kudos

StevenJ_Ackerma
Contributor I
Neil Simpson said:

I am using the supplied Ubuntu Lucid installation and would like to test out 1080p.  I have changed 'XGA' to 'SXGA' in the boot arguments (as above) and that works fine giving me 1280x1024, but when I try '1080P60' the display fails to start.  I am using VGA on port 1 rather than LVDS on port 0 - should this still work?  I cannot find a list of supported modes - what other modes should work on VGA?

Neil-

I don't believe that 1080P60 is a VGA supported resolution. Here's a list of the 'standard' VGA resolutions and timing:

http://www.tinyvga.com/vga-timing

Perhaps somebody else can respond to answer your question about what modes are supported on the i.MX53 QSB VGA.

ACS, Sarasota, FL

0 Kudos

NeilSimpson
Contributor I

Thanks.

0 Kudos

StevenJ_Ackerma
Contributor I
Daiane Angolini said:

ACS, Sarasota, FL

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

0 Kudos

StevenJ_Ackerma
Contributor I
Iain Galloway (Future) said:

Thanks for posting this. Wanted to let you know it was (just this minute) helpful!

-iain

You're welcome - glad it helped someone else.
I still haven't received an answer to my other question:
"Can the HDMI output driver configure the resolution for the attached monitor by querying the monitor capabilities via the interface ?"

ACS, Sarasota, FL

0 Kudos

iafg
Contributor IV

Thanks for posting this. Wanted to let you know it was (just this minute) helpful!

-iain

0 Kudos

StevenJ_Ackerma
Contributor I

OK - thanks to Remi Lorriaux, Adeneo I found the answer to the first part of my question.  For others who may be looking:

Look at the file:

/home/freescale/training_mx53/linux/ltib/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.35.3/arch/arm/mach-mx5/mx53_ard.c

Find the following structure - notice the desired resolution of 1920x1080x60 labeled with "1080P60":

static struct fb_videomode video_modes[] = {

{

"1080P60", 60, 1920, 1080, 7692,

100, 40,

30, 3,

10, 2,

FB_VMODE_NONINTERLACED,

0,},

Chang the uboot bootargs_base to (I preserved the hdmi variable in case I had to go back but you could modify that instead):

bootargs_base=set bootargs console=ttymxc0,115200 video=mxcdi0fb:RGB24,1080P60

Works great - monitor shows 1920x1080x60

Thank you Remi !

Now does anybody know the answer to the second question -

Can the HDMI output driver configure the resolution for the attached monitor by querying the monitor capabilities via the interface ?

ACS, Sarasota, FL

0 Kudos