Certain networking packets cause memory leaks in Windows Embedded Compact 7 on i.MX53

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain networking packets cause memory leaks in Windows Embedded Compact 7 on i.MX53

eugenferaru1
Contributor I

I have been tracking an elusive bug that causes the system to become unresponsive.

It has been proved that the bug is in the Ethernet area of the i.MX53 WinCE7 BSP which happens in certain network environments, especially in the European markets.

The system is leaking memory while processing certain Ethernet packets. The OS image has been built using the latest QFEs available as of 09/12/2019, i.e. WEC7 QFEs June 2019.

By disabling networking on the device, the memory leak stops.

This is a production system.

Please provide insight as to how to attack this problem.

Thanks,

Eugen

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

jsanchez
Contributor I

Hi, eugenferaru1 

I may be experiencing a similar issue. Our platform is based on an i.MX6DL running WinCE7, though. Yet, we are narrowing it down to the Ethernet part as well. It indeed becomes unresponsive under some conditions that I have found difficult to reproduce. We were considering that it might have to do with what the device was receiving from the ethernet switch, but it makes sense that it is something in the WinCE7 BSP. 

I am based in Mexico, where most of our appliances are installed. 

What else have you tried to stop the memory leaks? I cannot disable networking altogether. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos

eugenferaru1
Contributor I

Hi,

At the moment the theory is that the memory leaks occurs within WEC7/NDIS, and not in the FEC driver, which would be the only other potential candidate.

All the apps from the system have been removed, leaving only the barebone drivers, and the leak still occurred. It is hard to reproduce the condition that causes the leak. If/when we find the cause, will let the community know. Please do the same.

Thanks,

Eugen

0 Kudos

eugenferaru1
Contributor I

It is unfortunate that the Windows Embedded Compact 7 is no longer supported.

Found the problem by analyzing the traffic that sporadically caused the memory leak.

The original Freescale BSP sets up the FEC in promiscuous mode, to begin with. Thus, all traffic makes it to the NDIS, which leaks memory.

Disabling the promiscuous mode in the FEC, prevented the unwanted networking traffic, which in turn, prevents NDIS from leaking memory.

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Eugen,

This is Microsoft issue you will have to go with them or back to previous QFE.

Regards

0 Kudos

eugenferaru1
Contributor I

What issue is this? Is it a known issue or is it an assumption?

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The last wince for win53 was from Adeneo and its tested as workable but it has a QFE from 2017:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=IMX_WCE700_1105_TABLET_MMCODECS&appType=license&location... 

0 Kudos

eugenferaru1
Contributor I

I did download the "Windows Embedded Compact 7 Multimedia Codecs Bundle for the SABRE platform for Tablets" but this is just a set of binary libraries for - as the names implies - multimedia apps.It does not include anything for the FEC driver.

Back to the initial statement: "This is Microsoft issue you will have to go with them or back to previous QFE."

Is this a know issue or not? Why the reference to Microsoft bug? If is is a known bug please provide details, and if it is an assumption - what are the basis for the assumption.

Thanks,

Eugen

0 Kudos