cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't load u-boot onto iMX6UL using USB OTG

martin_lovric
Contributor II

Hi,

We use custom board with 4GB of RAM and we don't have slot for SD Card. The GPIOs for boot mode are set to serial downloader mode (BOOT_MODE0=HIGH, BOOT_MODE1=LOW) but can't manage to startup device and nothing appears on serial debug interface (UART1).

I have tried to load u-boot on to iMX6UL via USB OTG using imx_usb_loader tool (link below). I have followed guide for flashing iMX6 (link also below) and adjusted the configuration file in the loader according to the data in ucl2.xml file from MFGTools and pull request from the loaders GitHub repo which contains missing iMX6UL configuration. This part goes well (have a success at the end of flashing procedure), loader output provided in the attachment.

I assume the iMX6 boots correctly into serial downloader mode because I have noticed change in current consumption when the loader starts and finishes and aforementioned "success" notification from flash tool.

This is the current state of the configuration file:

mx6ul
hid,1024,0x910000,0x80000000,4G,0x00900000,0x20000
deploy_initramfs/u-boot.imx:dcd
deploy_initramfs/zImage-imx6ulevk.bin:load 0x80800000
deploy_initramfs/fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs-imx6ulevk.cpio.gz.u-boot:load 0x83800000
deploy_initramfs/imx6ul-14x14-evk.dtb:load 0x83000000
deploy_initramfs/u-boot.imx:clear_dcd,load,plug,jump header

Links:

Guide to flash iMX6 from Linux 

GitHub - boundarydevices/imx_usb_loader: USB & UART loader for i.MX5/6/7/8 series 

Could you help me find out if the flashing procedure and configuration are correct for iMX6UL and where could the problem be?

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards.

Martin Lovrić

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

martin_lovric
Contributor II

We solved it, the problem was in bad UART cable. Nonetheless, thank you for your help.

Best regards.

Martin Lovrić

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Martin

according to Table 2-1. System memory map i.MX6UL Reference Manual

only 2GB memory is available for DDR Controller.

i.MX 6UltraLite Applications Processor Reference Manual

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

linda_zhang
Contributor IV

Hi, 

We are using MYIR's MYD-Y6ULX i.MX 6UL/6ULL based board, it can update via USB OTG. You can refer to below. Hope it is helpful.

6.1 USB Update Method
Install tool
NXP provides a manufacture tool called MfgTool, we use MfgTool 2.7.0 version.The MfgTool supports Windows and Linux system.It is located in directory "03Tools/ManufactoryTool" of resource package.You can copy and extract it to your work directory.

Update steps (follow the sequence):
- Change third bit as OFF, four bit as ON on toggle switch(SW1).

- Use USB cable(Type-A to Micro-B) connect to micro usb port(J7) with PC USB port.

- Use DC 12 power supply connect with power jack(J22).

- Double click file "core-image-base-myd-y6ull-nand.vbs" under MfgTool directory, then the MfgTool will show the HID device on recognize.

- Click the "Start" button on MfgTool GUI, it will auto download system image to storage of board.

The progress bar will show as green when update finish. While it will show as red if failed.In this case you can view "MfgTool.log" file to get more information.Another way is use USB to TTL cable connect to Debug port(JP1), you can view the serial port output to analysis failed reason after update again.

Update files on MfgTool
MfgTool update files have two directories, firmware and files.The files directory store files for burning into the flash of MYD-Y6ULX board. It's located in "MYD-Y6ULXmfgtools/Profiles/Linux/OS Firmware/files/". The firmware directory store files for burning system. It's located in "MYD-Y6ULX-mfgtools/Profiles/Linux/OS Firmware/firmware/". You need to update those files when you change flash size or partition offset. List of files directory:

FileName Description
pastedImage_2.png
Boot from NAND
You need power down and change the toggle switch (SW1) to NAND boot type when you follow each way from two ways.
pastedImage_3.png
Reconnect the power adapter, the board will boot into linux through NAND flash。

0 Kudos