Can't get the linux console/logs after booting off SD Card

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get the linux console/logs after booting off SD Card

jaux_al
Contributor I

I built a Linux image for iMX8 board using Yocto, which was flashed to the SD card via the following commands:

bunzip2 < core-image-minimal-imx8qxpmek.sdcard.bz2 > core-image-minimal-imx8qxpmek.sdcard

sudo dd if=core-image-minimal-imx8qxpmek.sdcard of=/dev/sdb bs=1M conv=fsync

But when I insert an SD card, and connect the micro-USB to the debug port from the host machine, I don't really see anything coming up in a serial session. Do we see ROM logs when the boot up happens? Or is the issue possibly with the SD card?

I see 4 UART ports coming up so that's good, but I don't really see anything let alone a Linux console in a serial session in at least COM32 in Windows and ttyUSB0 on Linux

I checked the switches on the board and they're set to ON, ON, OFF, OFF for 1-4 bits as suggested in the manual.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

0 Kudos
12 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Which BSP and BSP version are you using?

Which board are you using?

0 Kudos

jaux_al
Contributor I

I'm trying out kernel 4.14.78 and 4.14.98

repo init -u https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-sumo -m imx-4.14.78-1.0.0_ga.xml

iMX8QXPMEK

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos

jaux_al
Contributor I

But i'm trying to use a yocto build to create a linux image and not download a built-in image straight off NXP's site.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

L4.14.xx is quite old.

I mean you can try the newer version of BSP.

e.g. Linux 5.4.24_2.1.0​​ Documentation

Download the documentation and follow the Yocto User Guide to build the image.

0 Kudos

jaux_al
Contributor I

L4.14.xx is older but that shouldn't mean it shouldn't work right?

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

There are different version of chip. Please check the version is B0 or C0. Then use the proper BSP that can support the version of the chip on your board.

0 Kudos

jaux_al
Contributor I

How do you verify whether the board is B0 or C0?

also, the B0 or C0 only matters when you set the MACHINE name in the build configuration, no?

EULA=1 DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8qxpc0mek source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build

How do you verify whether the board is B0 or C0?

also, the B0 or C0 only matters when you set the MACHINE name in the build configuration, no?

EULA=1 DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8qxpc0mek source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build

I tried the built-in version off NXP with the image name fsl-image-vaidation-imx-imx8qxpc0mek.sdcard which worked for me, but when I try to flash the same file generated via yocto project to an SD card and try to load linux off of it, it doesn't work.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

B0 or C0 is the version of the chip. If the last character of the part number is 'B', then it is B0 chip. If the last character is 'C', then it is C0 chip. 

There are many fixes from B0 to C0. You can find more information from the errata, and the App note AN12770 to see the different between B0 and the C0.

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-processors/i-mx-applications-proces...

Seems your board work for the C0 image. It is better to use the version of the BSP that can support C0 chip.

0 Kudos

jaux_al
Contributor I

The chip name is IMX8QXP - at least that's what I see printed on the EVB board. Which last character you are referring to?

When you say BSP, what do you exactly mean? Note that I am using a Yocto project so that includes initializing a repo off the git source like I mentioned in one of the previous replies. Dont you only specify the version while configuring he build environment via set MACHINE=""?

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I mean the last character of the part number. From the datasheet chapter 1.1, there is the part number under the Ordering Information. (https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/data-sheet/IMX8DXIEC-DS.pdf)

The part number printed on the top of the chip. But on your board, there is a heat sink on the chip so you may not able to see the part number.

The BSP means Board Support Package. For different version of BSP, there is the corresponding documentation bundle (i.e. the zip file). In the documentation, there is Yocto User Guide.pdf. The steps are similar basically. 

0 Kudos

jaux_al
Contributor I

right, so since the board has a heat sink, it's pretty hard to determine the last char off the board. Is there any other way?

The steps for making a kernel image via Yocto are fairly similar across different kernel versions. The main difference between specifying the kernel version while initializing repo. 

Then what do you see is possibly the cause of this problem i.e not being able see linux shell coming up?

0 Kudos