Can MCIMX8M-EVK be powered from USB-C at 20V?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can MCIMX8M-EVK be powered from USB-C at 20V?

Jump to solution
tai1
Contributor I

I have a MICMX8M-EVK and want to power it using the USB-C. I have a 65W adapter with USB-C PD capable, but when using it with the EVK, the VBUS is only 5V with default settings out of the box, while the same adapter used with other products outputs at 20V.

How can the EVK be changed to request higher VBUS?

Thanks,

Tai Phan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
7 Replies
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

No, you can not use like that. As in the i.MX8M EVK board, the usb type-C is not designed used for power, so you can not use it to supply power.

0 Kudos
tai1
Contributor I

B45499,

Could you please elaborate on why the USB-C port can't be used to power the EVK? is it lack of software support, or there are hardware issues?

I went over the hardware and it seems the logic is there to support the PD sink, but since the adapter only outputs 5V, I think the negotiation for higher voltage does not happen.

Regards,

Tai

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Due to hardware design, as the I.mx8mq-evk the USB Type-C is not designed for power supply.

0 Kudos
thanhle1990
Contributor II

hmm, from this block diagram, it seems to me that USBC PD should be available

0 Kudos
tai1
Contributor I

Do you know of a reference design that uses the PTN5110 in the Dual Power Role port?

My design uses the PTNDHQZ and the source role works fine, now I need to add the circuitry for the sink role.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
tai1
Contributor I

Thank you!

I was looking for a reference design that uses the PTN5110 in a dual power role - single USB-C for both data and power in both host and device configuration. I thought the PTN5110 would be able to do that, but reviewing the reference designs, it appears the the device will be used in either the power sink only (not with data) or just the host only.

I will now have to search for a different device.

Best regards,

0 Kudos