Can MCIMX8-8X-BB handle two audio boards (IMX-AUD-IO) in parallel?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can MCIMX8-8X-BB handle two audio boards (IMX-AUD-IO) in parallel?

Jump to solution
alx_dlb
Contributor II

Hey there,

I have a set-up that is running a i.MX 8QuadMax CPU on top of the MCIMX8-8X-BB base board. I saw that there are two audio slots. So I ask myself:

1. Is it possible to run two audio IMX-AUD-IO boards in parallel and double the available output channels to 12 for Linux with some ALSA magic?
  2. Has anyone ever tested the same thing on Android?
  3. Is the IMX-AUD-IO out there for sale separately or only together with the base board?
  4. Is there some documentation anywhere about the Audio Selection pins J47? Maybe this would clarify the main question already.

Thanks much and have a great day!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1. No, the current BSP release is prepared to work only with one IMX-AUD-IO board.

2. Unfortunately it is not documented or tested, just one card.

3. No, it is for sale together with the base board only.

4. Are you referring to this jumper?

Jorge7u7_0-1678907057088.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
alx_dlb
Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I am referring to this jumper. Is this basically a selection if audio gets routed to IMX-AUD-IO slot 1 or 2 or is there more logic to it?

Also from the hardware perspective: Would it even be possible to route different audio signals to two different IMX-AUD-IO boards (in case the BSP would support it)?

0 Kudos
JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

J47 it is used to select the board that is connected to base board:

- Rev D MCIMX8QXP-CPU - NA.
- Rev C MCIMX8QXP-CPU - Short Pins 1 & 2.
- MCIMX8QM-CPU - Short Pins 2 & 3.

And H4 jumper selects the use of audio slot 1, short the pins of H4 with a Jumper while connecting the LCD Card in Audio slot 1.

> Also from the hardware perspective: Would it even be possible to route different audio signals to two different IMX-AUD-IO boards (in case the BSP would support it)?

Yes, it is correct, audio slot 1 use ESAI0 while audio slot 2 use ESAI1, but it is not implemented on current BSP release.

JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1. No, the current BSP release is prepared to work only with one IMX-AUD-IO board.

2. Unfortunately it is not documented or tested, just one card.

3. No, it is for sale together with the base board only.

4. Are you referring to this jumper?

Jorge7u7_0-1678907057088.png