cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use uboot_sd.imx file from imxulevk on my custom board

asmaa
Contributor V

Hello Everyone,

I have custom board which has mcimx6g3cvm05ab IC on it. I want to download uboot on it and boot through eMMC.

Can I use the u-boot-imx6ul14x14evk_sd.imx file from L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga_mfg-tools\mfgtools-with-rootfs.tar from NXP to download into it through MFGtool without any changes.

I m stuck, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Asma

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Asma

unfortunately it can not be used as it is built for i.MX6UL EVK board.

For new board (or processor) recommended to run ddr test and update Mfg Tool firmware
image with new ddr calibration coefficients found from test
https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-105652
Update coefficients in uboot/../mx6sabresd/mx6q_4x_mt41j128.cfg and
rebuild Mfg Tool firmware (files in  ../firmware folder, fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs-imx_mfgtools.cpio.gz.u-boot).

For rebuilding one can use sect.6.2 Manufacturing Tool, MFGTool attached Yocto Guide.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

asmaa
Contributor V

Hi igorpadykov‌,

If I am doing it for IMX6ULEVK, why should I do changes in /mx6sabresd/mx6q_4x_mt41j128.cfg.

I assume you want to tell I mx6ul_14x14_evk/imximage.cfg or  imximage_lpddr2.cfg, Is that right? out of these 2 which one should I change?

Instead of giving generalize answer, please answer to my board specific, it would be of great help to me.

Once I did that, I build the mfgtool using:

bitbake fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs

what after that? what output should I expect? will it give me MFGtool.exe?

Why dont NXP gives good documentation

I went through all this thread

Build Manufacturing Firmware 

Build Manufacturing Firmware in Yocto 

How to build MFG Firmware for i.MX6Q 

I am not able to understand. Please provide me step by step documentation.          

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Asma

you wrote in first post:

"I have custom board which has mcimx6g3cvm05ab IC on it. I want to download uboot on it and boot through eMMC."

so it is necessary to make changes to *.cfg file, imximage.cfg for ddr3 or

if board uses lpddr2 then *lpddr2.cfg

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

asmaa
Contributor V

Thank you. And what about building manufacturing tool through bitbake command. Will I get manufacturing tool.exe ? If yes, in which folder I can find it?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-328258 

also suggest to read Freescale Yocto Project main page 

and linux documentation (Yocto Guide) found on

i.MX Software | NXP 

One can refer to p.14 attached i.MX_6Dual6Quad_SABRE-SD_Linux_User's_Guide.pdf - it shows
which files are used by Mfg Tool. So necessary to update coefficients in uboot/../*.cfg file and
rebuild Mfg Tool firmware (file  ../firmware folder, fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs-imx_mfgtools.cpio.gz.u-boot).

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

asmaa
Contributor V

Thank you. I will try this and update my results here in a day or two.

0 Kudos