Can I use CLKOUT1/2 as clk source for other devices?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use CLKOUT1/2 as clk source for other devices?

Jump to solution
Takashi_Kashiwagi
Senior Contributor I

Hi Community.

We are developing a product using the IMX8MM.

According to the RM, CLKOUT1/2 pin can output a pll_clk for "TEST".

I want to use the output of this pin as a clock source for other devices.

Is there any usage restriction on this pin? 

pastedImage_1.png

Best Regards,

T.Kashiwagi

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
mrudangshelat1
Senior Contributor II

Hi Takashi,

The CLKOUT outputs are intended for use in validation of certain internal freq - to check register programming during bring-up and development.

Jitter and output amplitude is not guaranteed for the CLKOUTx outputs (no spec in the datasheet for either).

If jitter is not a concern, it may be OK to use CLKOUT to drive an external part. You need to check the output signal amplitude to make sure CLKOUT is able to drive the external load adequately. If the freq is too high and/or load too heavy, a signal might be attenuated too much to use. Again, there are no guarantees.

Regards,

Mrudang

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mrudangshelat1
Senior Contributor II

Hi Takashi,

The CLKOUT outputs are intended for use in validation of certain internal freq - to check register programming during bring-up and development.

Jitter and output amplitude is not guaranteed for the CLKOUTx outputs (no spec in the datasheet for either).

If jitter is not a concern, it may be OK to use CLKOUT to drive an external part. You need to check the output signal amplitude to make sure CLKOUT is able to drive the external load adequately. If the freq is too high and/or load too heavy, a signal might be attenuated too much to use. Again, there are no guarantees.

Regards,

Mrudang

Takashi_Kashiwagi
Senior Contributor I

Hi Mrudang-san

Thank you for reply!

If the freq is too high and/or load too heavy, a signal might be attenuated too much to use. Again, there are no guarantees.

I understand. I will talk with our circuit designer.

Best Regards,

T.Kashiwagi

0 Kudos
mrudangshelat1
Senior Contributor II

Hi Takashi,

Rregards,

Mrudang