cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate Clock Frequency for MIPI DPHY Using Different ref_clock Value

Jump to solution
natesigrist
Contributor III

From the reference manual on "MIPI-CSI2 Peripheral on i.MX6 MPUs", AN5305 - MIPI CSI2, table 4 shows register values for... some clock - it's not specific.  The values are based on a ref_clock of 27MHz.  However, the default clock is 24 MHz for the YOCTO build. 

How is the table generated?

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>The actual clock is 24MHz

mipi pll_refclk can not be 24MHz by design, please refer to parts of i.MX6DQ Reference Manual, pll_refclk can be only 27MHz,

24MHz can not be sourced to mipi pll_refclk by design

pastedImage_1.jpg

pastedImage_2.jpg

i.MX6DQ Reference Manual

http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX6DQRM.pdf

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

12 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nate

24MHz is crystal reference clock and other clocks (including 27MHz) are produced

by plls as described in Figure 18-2. Clock Tree i.MX6DQ Reference Manual

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
natesigrist
Contributor III

Thanks for reviewing my question!

How are the register values calculated for MIPI_CSI_PHY_TST_CTRL1 ?  There is a nice table in both IMX6DQRM and AN5305 (table 4), but no explanation on how the table is calculated.  Could you help me with that?

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

one can also look at

Debug steps for customer MIPI sensor.docx 

Table values are not calculated, seems they are provided by designers

based on modelling MIPI-CSI module.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
natesigrist
Contributor III

Any idea on how I can get more information?  I don't understand why it's for 27MHz when YOCTO is configured for 24MHz...

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nate

what bsp used in the case, if it third party, you can also post questions on meta-fsl-arm mailing list
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/listinfo/meta-freescale

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
natesigrist
Contributor III

The kernel is from codearora which was included in the Yocto build. Line 71 in drivers/clk/imx/clk-imx6q.c,

static const char *cko1_sels[] = { "pll3_usb_otg", "pll2_bus", "pll1_sys", "pll5_video_div",
                                      "video_27m", "axi", "enfc", "ipu1_di0", "ipu1_di1", "ipu2_di0",
                                      "ipu2_di1", "ahb", "ipg", "ipg_per", "ckil", "pll4_audio_div", };

Notice that I changed the 4th entry to video_27m.  I also updated the parent clock for cko1 to be video_27m,

@@ -1012,8 +1012,8 @@ static void __init imx6q_clocks_init(struct device_node *ccm_node)
* Let's initially set up CLKO with OSC24M, since this configuration
* is widely used by imx6q board designs to clock audio codec.
*/
- imx_clk_set_parent(clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_CKO2_SEL], clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_OSC]);
- imx_clk_set_parent(clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_CKO], clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_CKO2]);
+ imx_clk_set_parent(clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_CKO1_SEL], clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_VIDEO_27M]);
+ imx_clk_set_parent(clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_CKO], clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_CKO1]);

/* Audio-related clocks configuration */
clk_set_parent(clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_SPDIF_SEL], clk[IMX6QDL_CLK_PLL3_PFD3_454M]);

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

there is no need for these changes as "video_27m" is already configured in dts

imx6qdl.dtsi\dts\boot\arm\arch - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

pastedImage_2.jpg

probably there is confusion regarding "24MHz" as it is used only as reference clock for ov5640 sensor,

mclk in dts file. OV5640 uses it for own plls and produces pixel clock which then used in AN5305 calculations

pastedImage_3.jpg

0 Kudos
natesigrist
Contributor III

Yes, Igor, I see the same.  But this is NOT true when booted.  Take a look at /sys/kernel.debug/clk/clk_summary

Here, clearly, cko is NOT 27MHz but rather 24MHz.  You must take a look at the clock settings in drivers/clk/mxc/clk-imx6q.c

To my main question, if the sensor clock is 24MHz (NOT 27MHz) then what are the calculations for table 4 in the AN5305 - MIPI CSI2 documentation?

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nate

>To my main question, if the sensor clock is 24MHz (NOT 27MHz) then what are the

>calculations for table 4 in the AN5305 - MIPI CSI2 documentation?

it does not matter what is sensor reference clock, as it can be any - sensor reference clock

is used only for generating pixel clock. Pixel clock is used for calculations in AN5305,

not sensor reference clock.

pastedImage_1.jpg

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
natesigrist
Contributor III

Sorry but you English is too broken up.  The section you are pointing to is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.  Notice that in the following image that the ref_clock is set to 27MHz.  The actual clock is 24MHz.

How are these calculated?

MIPI D-PHY Clock.png

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>The actual clock is 24MHz

mipi pll_refclk can not be 24MHz by design, please refer to parts of i.MX6DQ Reference Manual, pll_refclk can be only 27MHz,

24MHz can not be sourced to mipi pll_refclk by design

pastedImage_1.jpg

pastedImage_2.jpg

i.MX6DQ Reference Manual

Best regards
igor

natesigrist
Contributor III

Yes, I think you are right.  In my effort to be thorough, I got them confused.

>< 

At least in our application, speed is important.  I just needed to be certain that the details were right.  Thank you igorpadykov‌!

0 Kudos