CAD files for parts

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD files for parts

kevinangus
Contributor III

I downloaded the CAD files for the i.MX7Dxxx but then realize there is no method short of spending $25,000 I could open those files to get the footprint and component parts. I found the BSDL file and imported it to start creating the component, I created the footprint from the provided pdf drawings, all about two days time with four series of verification.

Would you please use Ultra Librarian to export to BLX files and provide them? At Digikey they have started hosting CAD files for parts, NPX is one of the few companies not providing useable CAD files. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Kevin,

The tool we used for hardware design is Cadence orCAD, so we only provide source files of Cadence orCAD for customer.

Customer can get package for schematic from .DSN files, and get packages for PCB from .brd file.

See here: i.MX 7Dual Arm Cortex-A7 Processor|NXP 

pastedImage_2.png

Have a great day,

TIC Weidong Sun

0 Kudos

kevinangus
Contributor III

The key word in my post was 'useable' as in "not providing useable CAD files". What you have provided is binary files not readable by many CAD programs. Allegro provides a free viewer (viewer another key word) that allowed me to open the .brd file, useless, I need the PCB pads/footprint for the part and the symbol/component associated with the footprint. The Orcad schematic in, again, binary format, useless, there is a PDF (Well documented). I don't need the Gerbers, whom in their right mind would want to build a 1 off board with the Gerbers? For training they are useful but they do not provide the footprint or symbol/component needed to design a PCB layout. I tried using the i.MX Pins Tool (instead of Processor Expert since the i.MX is not supported in Processor Expert) but there is no export of a BSDL file I could use with my assigned pin functions, I have to use the Pin Tool, export a CSV file (don't know if that will work) and then pin by pin edit my component/symbol after I create them from scratch, there are 541 pins on the MCIMX7D5EVM10SD part.

What I and other are looking for are "CAD Symbol and Footprint files" in a vendor neutral format like Accelerated Designs multiple EDA CAD tools format (.bxl) files. These are easy to import with free tools and a minimum of time invested. Again, other vendors are using this format to help their customers reduce the cost of using their part.

As it stands the difference between the MCIMX7D5 and MCIMX7D7 is not shown in the BSDL or Pins tool, I will have to spend more time figuring out why.

0 Kudos