Building u-boot-imx for NAND flash imx6ullevk

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building u-boot-imx for NAND flash imx6ullevk

nicholdraper202
Contributor II

I have a board based on the mx6ullevk with the nand flash in place of the spi.  I have the nand image which can be downloaded with the mfgtool.  When I download that image it works.  I've changed the imx6ull14x14evk.conf to be nand for the UBOOT_CONFIG and I've built the u-boot-imx recipe using bitbake u-boot-imx.  A u-boot image is created, and works from the serial shell.  But when I use the mfgtool to program the board I get an error loading the rootfs.  When I go back to the original u-boot image the rootfs loads correctly. 

Obviously I've not made all the changes necessary to build the nand flash version of u-boot.  What are the other changes I need to make?  I've found links to how to build for the nand flash, but all the information is old and predates the current included support.  

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

nicholdraper202
Contributor II

I've been trying to figure out why what I compiled didn't work.  Each time I get this error when using the mfgtools2. 

pastedImage_4.png

I finally downloaded the mfgtools2 version L4.9.88_2.0.0_mfg-tool which matches the code version I am using and I get the same error as the compiled code.  By luck I had downloaded the version L4.1.15_2.0.0-ga_mfg-tools originally which works.  I couldn't figure out why the compiled code failed.  Now I see that the compiled files supplied by NXP also fails to work on the mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand board.  Please figure out why these are broken and patch them.  I'll try to get back to the old version, as I need to progress in this project.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nichol

one can look at description on

How-To use NAND boot on i.MX6UL EVK board 

images (files which are flashed to external media) are located in mfg tool /files folder,

description how to use mfg tool can be found in presentation below

AMF-ACC-T1652 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

nicholdraper202
Contributor II

I followed the instructions on that page, but they seem to be years old.  I get an error compiling with those files:

| /bin/bash /home/nichol/fsl/build-x11/workspace/sources/u-boot-imx/scripts/mkmakefile \
| /home/nichol/fsl/build-x11/workspace/sources/u-boot-imx . 2017 03
| make -f /home/nichol/fsl/build-x11/workspace/sources/u-boot-imx/scripts/Makefile.build obj=scripts/basic
| GEN ./Makefile
| make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/home/nichol/fsl/build-x11/workspace/sources/u-boot-imx/arch//cpu/u-boot.lds', needed by `u-boot.lds'. Stop.
| make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
| rm -f .tmp_quiet_recordmcount
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nichol/fsl/build-x11/tmp/work/imx6ull14x14evk-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-imx/2017.03-r0/u-boot-imx-2017.03/mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config'
| make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
| make: Leaving directory `/home/nichol/fsl/build-x11/workspace/sources/u-boot-imx'
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/nichol/fsl/build-x11/tmp/work/imx6ull14x14evk-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-imx/2017.03-r0/temp/log.do_compile.2047)
ERROR: Task (/home/nichol/fsl/sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/meta-bsp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 397 tasks of which 394 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
/home/nichol/fsl/sources/meta-fsl-bsp-release/imx/meta-bsp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb:do_compile

These files seem wrong since there are now exists configs/mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_defconfig and these old instructions contain configs/mx6ul_14x14_evk_nand_defconfig.  I do have the mx6ull_14x14_evk modified with nand.  It does work with the image that is stored with the mfgtool.  I would like to replicate compiling that image.  I seem to get close when I just changed local.conf to include both the following lines. 

UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand"
CONFIG_CMD_NAND = "1"

I seem to be off in just the u-boot args.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

please verify that correct sources were used, use ones from nxp repository

uboot-imx - i.MX U-Boot 

linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

also use appropriate version linux&uboot for each mfg tools package, they are described

in nxp documentation

i.MX Software|NXP 

for example for L4.1.15 use uboot-imx-imx_v2016.03 and so on.

https://community.nxp.com/thread/445105 

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

nicholdraper202
Contributor II

Now I'm confused, in the NXP i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide it says to use the repository 

repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/imx/fsl-arm-yocto-bsp.git -b imx-morty

But you are point me to a https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx repository.  Which is the correct NXP repository?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

please use official nxp linux documentation on

i.MX Software|NXP 

In particular in Release Notes, sect.2.1 New features one can find that

New location at Code Aurora Forum at https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

nicholdraper202
Contributor II

p.s. imx-morty contains u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb.  Which Yocto branch contains the 2016.03?  The branch imx-4.1.15-1.0.0_ga contains u-boot-imx_2015.04.bb.

0 Kudos