Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building u-boot for imx6 solo

Jump to solution
d_saxena
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a new CPU module with iMX6 Solo and 512 MB RAM. Can you tell me which config to use to compile u-boot source? I dint see any config which can be used for SOLO. i tried nitrogen6s_defconfig and u-boot can boot but obviously lots of errors as my module is not nitrogen.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Durgesh,

I was asking for the u-boot version, not the defconfig. Let me explain:

When you build a NXP's BSP for i.MX using the command 'bitbake' you will get a .sdcard file which contains the uboot, the kernel (zImage), the device tree (.dtb) and the root file system. In this case you dont need the defconfig because everything is set on recipes. You can deploy the full image with command 'dd' using the .sdcard file.

In my opinion this is your best option. You can also deploy zImage or uboot or root file system separately. In the following post you will find details about this: Task #4 - Deploy and test 

Besides this, you can extract the source out of Yocto, in this case you can make using imx_v7_defconfig.

On the other hand you can clone u-boot from community GitHub - Freescale/u-boot-fslc at 2016.11+fslc  and you can build it using mx6dlsabresd_defconfig. Please note that this is a community external to NXP so this u-boot is not supported by NXP.

Please note that the defconfig files are specific for boards, not for MCUs, therefore if you are using a custom board the defconfig may not work for you as you may need to customize it to match your board.

Regards,
Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dargesh,

NXP does not provide support for Nitrogen boards, but probably gary_bisson‌ may comment on this.

Regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos
d_saxena
Contributor I

Hi,

Our design is based on SabreSD board. First CPU module has iMX6 quad core and 2 GB RAM. I made u-boot and linux image for that. No issues in that area. 

Now the hardware designer has replaces CPU with iMX6 SOLO and reduced memory to 512 in new board. According to hardware designer SOLO and quad is pin to pin compatible and interchangeable. Now i have following configuration...

CPU iMX6 SOLO

RAM 512 MB

base board design reference is SabreSD... 

0 Kudos
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Durgesh,

which u-boot are you using?

Carlos

0 Kudos
d_saxena
Contributor I

Hi Carlos,

That was my question... I did not find defconfig for SOLO. 

0 Kudos
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Durgesh,

I was asking for the u-boot version, not the defconfig. Let me explain:

When you build a NXP's BSP for i.MX using the command 'bitbake' you will get a .sdcard file which contains the uboot, the kernel (zImage), the device tree (.dtb) and the root file system. In this case you dont need the defconfig because everything is set on recipes. You can deploy the full image with command 'dd' using the .sdcard file.

In my opinion this is your best option. You can also deploy zImage or uboot or root file system separately. In the following post you will find details about this: Task #4 - Deploy and test 

Besides this, you can extract the source out of Yocto, in this case you can make using imx_v7_defconfig.

On the other hand you can clone u-boot from community GitHub - Freescale/u-boot-fslc at 2016.11+fslc  and you can build it using mx6dlsabresd_defconfig. Please note that this is a community external to NXP so this u-boot is not supported by NXP.

Please note that the defconfig files are specific for boards, not for MCUs, therefore if you are using a custom board the defconfig may not work for you as you may need to customize it to match your board.

Regards,
Carlos

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

My understanding is that the module is NOT a Nitrogen one so I can't help.

Dargesh, please specify the exact reference of the module you are using.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos