cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building SPL/u-boot to boot from SD on i.MX 8M QUAD EVK

AsherKariv
Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to build SPL/u-boot from  source code and boot from SD, but SPL gets stuck in lpddr4_800M_cfg_phy() when calling wait_ddrphy_training_complete().

I am building the code from https: //source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx , branch is imx_v2017.03_4.9.51_imx8m_beta.

I am using the imx8mq_evk_defconfig configuration. Below is the SPL output.

Any idea what am I missing?

Thank you,

ASher

U-Boot SPL 2017.03-dirty (Mar 07 2018 - 16:08:12)
PMIC: PFUZE100 ID=0x10
start to config phy: p0=3200mts, p1=667mts with 1D2D training
check ddr4_pmu_train_imem code
check ddr4_pmu_train_imem code pass
check ddr4_pmu_train_dmem code
check ddr4_pmu_train_dmem code pass
config to do 3200 1d training.

Tags (3)
5 Replies

AsherKariv
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the information. I am trying to build a standalone u-boot, for eventually loading Windows (UEFI), which we have done on other platforms like Sabre i.MX6/7, and used directly the NXP u-boot repos with gcc toolchain. I am currently using (gcc-linaro-7.2.1-2017.11). Do you think there something else in the Yocto project, that is missing when building it this way? 

I will try using the Yocto SDK,

Thanks,

Asher 

0 Kudos

AsherKariv
Contributor II

Hi Igor,

It appears I was missing the patch DDR patch (L4.9.51_8MQ_BETA_LINUX_PATCH). Once I applied the patch SPL DDR initialization completes successfully .

Thanks again,

Asher 

0 Kudos

AsherKariv
Contributor II

Hi again,

The documentation suggests getting bl31.bin is done directly from Arm Trusted Firmware. What platform do you use to building the firmware components?

Thanks,

Asher

0 Kudos

AsherKariv
Contributor II

Hi,

So found out that the bl31.bin is built from https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-atf branch imx_4.9.51_imx8m_beta. bl31.bin is built using make PLAT=imx8mq bl31.

So after applying the DDR patch, and building the firmware binary using:
make SOC=iMX8M flash_spl_uboot, SPL/u-boot (flash.bin) successfully boots!

Thanks again,

Asher

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Asher

please follow sect.4.5.13 How to build imx-boot image attached Linux Guide

from documentation below

i.MX Software|NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos