Bring up sd8787 wifi device issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring up sd8787 wifi device issue

zeboo44
Contributor I

We have a problem bringing up our SDIO WIFI module driver (sd8787 based) on our i.MX6Q HW (PHYflex module).

The device is a WIFI module from Taiyo Yuden and it is based on Marvell sd8787 chipset.

When we insert the WIFI module in the SDCard socket, we get this.

root@phyFLEX-i:~ mmc0: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001

mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: poll card status failed, tries = 100

mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: FW download with helper: poll status timeout @ 0

mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: prog_fw failed ret=0xffffffff

mwifiex: mwifiex_add_card: firmware init failed

mwifiex_sdio: mwifiex_sdio_probe: add card failed

mwifiex_sdio: probe of mmc0:0001:1 failed with error -1

We step a bit in the mwifiex sdio.c code and found that the problem occurs

when it starts to transfer the firmware in the sd8787 chipset; the DN_LD_CARD_RDY

status flag returned from the device is never asserted.

The firmware image (sd8787_uapsta.bin) is built-in the kernel and it is identified

correctly by the mwifiex driver.

Any help would be welcomed.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

aravinthkumarja
Senior Contributor II

Hi S Bourgeois,

Are you solved the issue..?

Same issue i'm faced and solved.

Thanks!

Aravinth

0 Kudos

rudrayyar
Contributor I

Hi Aravinth,

I am facing similar issue? Is your issue solved, if so let us know your inputs.

Thanks

Rudra

0 Kudos

manueldipolt
Contributor I

Hi,

not really see Mwifiex driver failed

What SDIO Hardware do you use? can you enable debug for the sdio driver? (i use a pcie card from delock with a sd/sdio slot where its possible to enable debug messages)

@16 means the first time you get DN_LD_CARD_RDY and IO_READY are set and you read that you should write 16 bytes but after that the flags dont get raised

could you post your kernel version, dmesg, cat /sys/kernel/debug/mmc0/ios and which chip do you use sd8787?

0 Kudos

manueldipolt
Contributor I

now it works, use a other sdio host (mp230 pcie card instead of delock pcie 91485 card reader)

seems the sdio/mmc host driver from the card has troubles with sdio

0 Kudos

lancejump
Contributor I

I have gotten it to work on two iMX6Q based boards, but one is not entirely reliable. The sd8787 module I am using is an evaluation board from wi2wi. I am using kernel version 3.0.35, but I am not using the driver or firmware from that tree. Instead, I am using a Marvell driver intended for the FC13 kernel. That driver needed some patches, but nothing big.

Our target platform uses the gcore6 (G5-ES) iMX6Q SOM module and we tested using the G5-ES carrier. We saw many of the problems reported in this thread when using that platform. In the end, we kluged a BSP patch for the SDIO driver that limited the clock rate to 25MHz and we added a 10 second delay to the firmware download. It now runs much better, but still not completely consistent and reliable. It has trouble reloading the driver because it doesn't seem able to detect that the firmware is loaded and it can't seem to re-download the firmware. But, from a power cycle, it is much better.

During our testing, we got a Sabre Lite (Boundary Devices), which is also iMX6Q based and runs the same kernel. The wi2wi board runs there without the clock speed kluge or the 10 second delay. But the strange thing is that the, on the gcore6 platform, a 50MHz SD memory card works without the BSP clock kluge.

0 Kudos

corro
Contributor I

Same thing here...

Although I'm getting stuck sometimes at: FW download with helper: poll status timeout @ 16

Any progress guys?

0 Kudos

manueldipolt
Contributor I

hi, have the same problem but with a SDIO WIFI module driver (sd8782 based).

i get 0x04 i read the

CARD_TO_HOST_EVENT_REG    0x30

which value did you got?

did you solved it yet?

0 Kudos

minghungliu
Contributor I

Hi, I used Marvel SD8782 module (88W8782-NAP2).

Is it compatible with 8787 driver and firmware(sd8787_uapsta.bin)?

Because I don't find any driver and firmware named "sd8782".

Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos