cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting up the i.mx6 board

vishal284
Contributor II

Hi,

I have a i.mx6 SABRE board. I have downloaded i.MX6Q_SDB_SD_Demo_Image and installed on SD card.

After powering on the system, it is not displaying anything on the display.

There might be some problem with the image installation?

Could you please let me know, how can I see the terminal. I have used a RS 232 cable to connect between the board and laptop.

I have tried connections both from CPU card and base board. But its not working.

Are their any specific settings to be used on Putty for connecting using COM Port?

Thanks

Vishal Jain

Labels (2)
10 Replies

AkramBzr
Contributor I

I have the same problem. I accidentally erased the flash files now hyperterminal is not responding any message when I connect the board with my pc via rs232 serial port. Drivers are ok because i have another board which is working fine. My board details are below:

Name imx6q 

Connection interface: only rs232 no sd card slot available

No switches available on it. 

I have rs232 is the only way to connect it to pc, how can i reflash it.

Note: there are 5 pins  and a small 10 pin female connector i don't know for which purpose they can be used. 

Please help

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Vishal, I think before if enables the serial port it displays on HDMI. Hook up a monitor over the HDMI and try your demo again.

0 Kudos

vishal284
Contributor II

Thanks Sinan.

I connected a monitor to HDMI port as well, still i could not see anything.

I tried to connect Ethernet port and the light blinks, but its not able to assign any new IP address.

Anything else, which i can try?

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Vishal, later in the day I will try to hook up my board and see what steps I went through with the initial image. What you could try is perhaps is just to load another image say mainline u-boot and see if you have access to your serial ports. I assume you only tried the demo image so far.

By the way, just re-reading the notes above : regarding the hyperterminal. In your laptop, are you using a serial port or USB port with serial converter. Can you double check your Laptop's serial port is working fine with another board.

Hope this helps further

0 Kudos

vishal284
Contributor II

Hi Sinan,

Could you please let me know, from where i can download u-boot image for i.mx6? I am new to the freescale stuff.

I could find Linux BSP file system, but I am not sure how to convert that to a image and install on SD card.

And yes, I have tried only demo image so far. I thought thats the simplest way to verify the hardware setup.

I am using a RS 232 cable of 9 pins, which is being connected to Board and other end is USB, which is connected to Laptop.

Also if I connect RS 232 cable with base board, Hyper terminal is not able to connect.

But if I connect to CPU card, connection is success, but as usual no msgs on terminal.

So I assume serial port works fine, as I don't have any other board to test with.

There is a power button on the base board, I tried to press it also, but no use.

Thanks for your help

Vishal Jain

0 Kudos

hemalgandhi
Contributor III

Hello Vishal..

Connect the micro-B end of the supplied USB cable into debug port J509. Connect the other end of the cable to a PC acting as a host terminal. If needed, the Serial to- USB drivers can be found at ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm.

You can download the Linux user guide for IMX6Dual/Quad SABRE_SD board from below link

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=RDIMX6SABREBRD&fpsp=1&tab=Documentati...

For more help to boot the i.MX6Q-SABRE board , refer the following link.

https://community.freescale.com/message/310021#310021

Thanks,

Hemal Gandhi

PicusTech Software.

vishal284
Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Hemal.

I downloaded the docs from the above mentioned links. I have tried to use chapter 8 from SABRE_AI_User_Guide, Linux host to set up SD card. I have made partitions and copied the file system in the SD card.

I have used the uImage and other files from L3.0.35_12.09.01.01_GA_images_MX6Q.tar.

But still I don't see anything in terminal. Do we have to do some setting to see the messages on terminal? I connected using hyper terminal with 115200 value.

I am not even able to see the boot log as you have attached in the post:

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  3     2     1     0

Does it come only with MFGTool?

Thanks & Regards,

Vishal Jain

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Vishal

I haven't used putty as a terminal, but if you are using windows you can use the hyperterminal with the following settings:

bits per second: 115200

data bits: 8

parity: none

stop bits: 1

flow control: none

regarding the ethernet port, most probably your booting arguments are set to wait for an IP before proceeding with booting. Once you are able to connect to the hyperterminal you can check your booting arguments and change the "ip=dhcp" to "ip=none" to overrule the IP assign, that way you will be able to boot.

please let me know I was clear and if you have any questions!

vishal284
Contributor II

Hello Sergio

Thanks for the settings. I tried with these using Hyper terminal, but its not displaying any messages in the terminal. Just cursor is blinking.

I have removed the ethernet port. I connected it, just to test in case some IP address is being allocated.

Could there be any problem with the demo image installation?

Shall I share a picture of my board? In case it can help in giving some pointers.

Thanks

Vishal

basinibharathi
Contributor II

I am working on imx6 quad sabre-sd board and facing the same issue that is boot log is not shown on serial terminal(Putty) with same settings mentioned above. But, display is shown on HDMI screen. Please help me on this.

Regards,

Bharathi

0 Kudos