cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting i.MX6 Android from NOR FLASH

mike_sims
Contributor IV

Hi,

I have questions about booting Android from NOR on a Sabre AI (imx6dl CPU2) board.

I am preparing a SW Build for our custom HW design by using the SabreAI board.   I have built the sw provided by NXP to boot Android from SD Card (this works well).  I am trying to adapt this SW to put u-boot and the boot image on the on-board 32MB NOR, but I do not see a way in U-Boot to use BOOTA from NOR.   Is U-Boot the right bootloader to use to boot from NOR??

For now, I am OK with having the remaining partitions on SD Card.  In our custom application, I would want the boot, bootimage, recoveryimage, and system partition on NOR.   Will I need to modify the FSTAB, INIT*.RC, or System Image to move these partitions from SD to NOR??

Thank you in advance for your answers...

Regards..

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

mike_sims
Contributor IV

Thank you for the responses, but none really address the question of how to use BOOTA with NOR.

After much digging, there is a way to implement this.  BOOTA takes an address as a parameter.  So, if a BOOT.IMG is programmed into flash at say address 0x08080000, I can use the U-Boot command BOOTA 0x08080000 to correctly load this image and boot...

Hope this helps someone else....

Regards.

0 Kudos

ScottKerstein
Contributor III

Android MM6.0 release doc , for SabreAI board , boot source tested are :External SD and NAND.

For Linux 4.1.15 release note , there is u-boot  configure for SabreAI board boot from nor flash.  Refer it to generate u-boot which could boot from NOR flash.  For Kernel and other image storage partitions, one could take the android release user guide doc. for reference.

0 Kudos