cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting Linux from eMMC

anandmeharwade
Contributor II

Hi All,

I am working on the SABRE SD board and trying to boot the linux from on board eMMC device.

I am successful in flashing the uImage, u-boot and RFS in to the eMMC through MFG Tool, thereafter if I reset, it is not booting from eMMC (won't get anything in console).

Following is the procedure that I followed to boot it from the eMMC.

1. Toggled all switches on SW6 to off.

2. Changed name=SabreSD-eMMC in the cfg.ini file in [LIST] section

3. Executed MFGTool2 and flashed the images and RFS.

4. Changed the SW6 switches to D1=11010110 as per the user guide boot mode setting.

5. Reset

Here after I should get the u-boot in the console but I am not.

Following is the console log that I am getting after when flashing is done through MFGTool

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UTP: closing the file
UTP: sending Success to kernel for command frf.
UTP: received command '$ umount /mnt/mmcblk0p1'
UTP: executing "umount /mnt/mmcblk0p1"
UTP: sending Success to kernel for command $ umount /mnt/mmcblk0p1.
utp_poll: pass returned.
UTP: received command '$ echo Update Complete!'
UTP: executing "echo Update Complete!"
Update Complete!
UTP: sending Success to kernel for command $ echo Update Complete!.
utp_poll: pass returned.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As per my understanding, mmcblk0p1 indicates that it is written in eMMC( Correct me if I am wrong)

Please could any one let me know, am I missing any setting while flashing the images or any other reason.

For any more details please feel free to reply me.

Thanks and Regards

Anand M

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Anand,

When you boot up board you set the SW6 switches to D1=11010110, when you are download images to your board I think you'd better to change the SW6 switches to D1=00001100 (download mode). You can have a try.
Have a great day,
Dan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

tonyzheng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Which board do you use? MX6Q or MX6DL?Maybe your MFG tool version is too low. If you use MX6Q, you can download Mfgtools-Rel-3.0.0_20121119_GA_MX6Q_UPDATER on freescale web! Try it!

Also, can you provide your mfg logs?

0 Kudos

anandmeharwade
Contributor II

Hi Jimse,

I am using i.MX6Q SABRE-SD.

I am attaching the MFG log for your reference.

Please look into the same I let me know what is the issue.

When I am flashing the SW6 was D1=00001100 as per Dan Wang

After flashing I changed it to D1=11010110

But still no progress. still the same behaviour

Regards

Anand M

0 Kudos

tonyzheng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

It seems no problem! Can you boot the board through u-boot provided by Freescale?

In E:\Tools\Mfgtools-Rel-4.1.0_130816_MX6Q_UPDATER\Mfgtools-Rel-4.1.0_130816_MX6Q_UPDATER\Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware\files, there are some prebuilt bin,such as u-boot-sabresd.bin and uImage.

I'm not sure if thare are something wrong with your u-boot or your eMMC. So, you can take a try by prebuilt u-boot.

0 Kudos

anandmeharwade
Contributor II

Hi,

I tried using the prebuild binaries which comes along with the MFGtool. But still there is same behaviour.

In the attached log once again I found this statement "Warning: no primary partition is marked bootable (active)"

I think in the eMMC partition the primary partition is not configured as bootable. I am not sure what I am claiming but let me know if this could be the reason and how to solve this.

0 Kudos

tonyzheng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I have also tested it on my board. Even though it prompts the statement "Warning :no primary partition......:, the u-boot run successfully. So, I doubt if there are something wrong with your eMMC hardware.
The attachment is my log.

0 Kudos

anandmeharwade
Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I can see in your log.. the boot device is mentioned as SPI NOR.

But in my case it was showing as MMC which suppose to be.

What is the boot mode switch setting when you are flashing using MFG and while booting?

Regards
Anand M

0 Kudos

tonyzheng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

This is my MFG tool, you can try it!

Mfgtools-Rel-4.1.0_130816_MX6Q_UPDATER

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX6_SW&fr=gtl&uc=true&lang_cd=en

Design Tools->i.MX6Quad & i.MX6Dual Manufaturing Toolkit

0 Kudos

anandmeharwade
Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I  tried with MFGTool that you suggested but I am not getting any booting sign.

If it a eMMC issue, when I am booting from the SD card I can see density of the eMMC returned

--------------------------------------------------------------------

mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 SEM08G 7.39 GiB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As I am very new to this. Please let me know any other method to boot from the eMMC.

Looking forward to hear from soon.

Regards

Anand M

0 Kudos

tonyzheng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Firstly, you should make sure that your every steps be right! Such as Switch D1, u-boot bin and so on.

If still this case,  I advise you to test it through JTAG tools.

When board is powerd up, it will boot from System ROM, and then jump to related boot media,such as eMMC, SD card. You can trace where it fail!

Goog luck for you!

0 Kudos

anandmeharwade
Contributor II

Hi Jimse,

Ok sure.. Thanks for your suggestion and spending time for me.

I will let you posted once I succeed with the eMMC booting

Also could you please look into this issue that I posted regarding QT compiling.

The specified system/compiler is not supported while compiling QT

Thank you very much for the support.

Regards

Anand M

0 Kudos

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Are you setting all the required files in the correct folder?, can you please tell me which files and where did you put them?

0 Kudos

anandmeharwade
Contributor II

Hi Jimse,

Thanks for the reply.

I am copying images(u-boot-mx6q-sabresd and uImage) and RFS to E:\Mfgtools-Rel-4.1.0_130816_MX6Q_UPDATER\Profiles\MX6Q Linux Update\OS Firmware\files

Also before copying u-boot.bin into this path I am changing the file name as u-boot-mx6q-sabresd.bin and copying into this path.

Regarding RFS, after compiling using ./ltib and I am using the command $tar --owner=root --group=root -cjvf ./rootfs.tar.bz2 ./* command to tar the RFS.

Anand M

0 Kudos

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

SergioSolis,    Check this out, can you please comment?

0 Kudos