Booting Android 8 NXP BSP from sdcard on iMX6

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting Android 8 NXP BSP from sdcard on iMX6

zbigniewmazur
Contributor II

I would like to welcome everyone here as this is my first post here. Good evening!

I wanted to say a bit about running Android 8 NXP BSP on processors i.MX6 from sdcards.

Android 8 linux kernel uses Guid Partition table GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia  but

iMX processor starts uboot from 1024 byte of sdcard. So when you put uboot to 1024byte you just destroyed Entires 1,2 etc.. records. So NXP Android Guide asks us to use script "device/fsl/common/fsl-sdcard-parition.sh" that before destroying primary GPT creates secondary(backup) partition table in reverse order at the end of sdcard (like wikipedia article describes). But because you write sdcard image from the 'front' and sdcard's are different size there is no way to create sdcard.img that you can flash on many different sdcards. - you wont write backup GPT in right sectoros if size change.

Additionally this script is problematic because if you create many different sdcards, linux cashes and doesn't write and sync somehow doesn't help. Restart sometime is needed, when you see a system.img written in 3 seconds then it's wrong.

Userdata.img and Cache.img are not generated during android make build, but during this script using mkfs.ext4 which throws errors and don't create those images sometimes after multiple cards has been flashed. PC Reboot is needed too.

4 Replies

crl6crl6
Contributor III

I have same issue 。can anyone help me?

my question:

Android8 Filesystem not Mounted(To boot from the SD card) 

Android8 Filesystem not Mounted(To boot from the SD card)

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I apologize for the delay.

That is the reason why we have several partition table images that could work with different memory sizes. You only need to run the fsl-sdcard-partition.sh script with all the specified images in our guide in the same folder. This will create the exact partition table of the size of the memory that you are using.

I hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

Contributor II

Hi, Diego.

I have same issue that the sd card is damaged when i run fsl-sdcard-partion.sh as described madual.

When i ignore that warnings and boot imx6dl board, u-boot shows this error message.

boota mmc1

boota: bad boot image magic

Do you know the solution of this error? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos

mayqueen
Contributor IV

I have same issue when I built source code, but when I exec fsl-sdcard-parition.sh, for the 1st part is format stage, this step is okey, but when the 2nd part - flashing image running on u-boot step, the sdcard will be damaged, I don't similar for GPT but I really need someone give me directions, thanks

0 Kudos