cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot into Factory Test Mode on i.MX8 with Android 8.1

territao
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm trying to have my device boot into factory test mode, this factory test mode is used to run factory test programs for new devices.

I was able to boot one of my another device (i.MX6 + Android 5.0) into factory test mode by setting:

"androidboot.mode=factory"

But on my new device with i.MX8 + Android 8.1, seems "androidboot.mode=factory" not working.

Is there anyone meet such problems? How to enable factory test mode on i.MX8 with Android 8.1?

Thanks!

Terri

0 Kudos
7 Replies

xinyu_chen
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Terri

On Android O/P, recovery ramdisk is built into the boot.img. It can be triggered by run "reboot recovery" in android shell.

After reboot, it entering recovery, UI like this:

A3FB9D21.PNG

It actually needs to remove "skip_initramfs" in kernel command line to enter into recovery, as this: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/ab/ab_implement#recovery

0 Kudos

territao
Contributor II

Thanks Eric, recovery mode works.

About a working mode suitable for running factory test commands, if "androidboot.mode=factory" not working on i.MX8M + Android 8.1, is there a proper mode you recommend?

Here are some descriptions of this mode:

1. Less than 10s quick boot time

2. ADB is enabled

3. Device drivers of Linux kernel are running, and peripherals such as LCD/Touch Panel/Camera can be tested in this mode

4. Unit can boot into Android normally after a power restart.

Thanks!

Terri

0 Kudos

xinyu_chen
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Terri

I have already provided the link to you, you should remove "skip_initramfs" in command line to enter into recovery mode. Or use "reboot recovery"
 in shell to reboot to recovery.

1. Should be < 10s

2. I'm not sure, you can check by yourself. If not, adding adbd is doable

3. Kernel is same as normal boot

4. Sure.

0 Kudos

xinyu_chen
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

The old android support factory reset mode, not factory test. What kind of the factory test functions customer needed?

0 Kudos

territao
Contributor II

On i.mx6 with Android 5.0, we enter into factory test mode by setting "androidboot.mode=factory" in uboot and pass it to Linux kernel.

In factory test mode, we run customized factory test programs to test hardware peripherals on boards, such as LCD, buttons, sensors, etc.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

did you try the latest versioon P9 on the imx8? and what imx8 board you use? imx8, imx8M or imx8x?? Pls try to use the latest P9 version to test again

https://www.nxp.com/pages/alpha-beta-bsps-for-microprocessors:IMXPRERELEASES

0 Kudos

territao
Contributor II

Thanks Joan for your feedback!

Now we're using imx8M on our own hardware, all of our device drivers and software are based on BSP Android O8.1.0, so we're unable to move to Android Pie at this moment.

Factory test mode is essential for mass production products, we also found recovery mode is not working either.

Is there any document you recommend us to read related to factory test mode and recovery mode on i.mx8M and Android 8.0? We need to solve this issue.

Thanks!

Terri

0 Kudos