Any chance to get GTK+\GTKFB with Yocto distro=fsl-imx-fb?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance to get GTK+\GTKFB with Yocto distro=fsl-imx-fb?

ilyalevashevich
Contributor II

I have imx6 board and yocto distro configured to use framebuffer.
I want to add some GUI elements to my GStreamer app. GTK is the only way, I guess.
But when I try to build GTK samples, it always says

"fatal error: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory"

because HAVE_GTK is false in Makefiles.

When I try to build "bitbake GTK+" it says 

ERROR: gtk+ was skipped: one of '['directfb', 'x11']' needs to be in DISTRO_FEATURES

I guess there is a conflict of iMX's distro "fsl-imx-fb" and Yocto's distro "directfb".

Is there any way to support GTK+ or GTKFB in "fls-imx-fb"?
Regards,

Ilya

4 Replies

woutervh
Contributor IV

I also wonder why I have to install X11 if I want to have gtk+3 + webkitgtk...

Why doesn't it run directly on the linuxfb?

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ilya,

GTK+ requires a backend, either directfb or X11. The latest releases of the BSP no longer support directfb so the alternative here would be using X11 or switching to an earlier BSP release that supports directfb.

I believe there are implementations of GTK+ that run directly on the framebuffer and is meant for embedded systems but it is not included on the BSP.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

ilyalevashevich
Contributor II

Hello gusarambula.
I appreciate your reply.
Yes, we've considered X11 as backend for our project, but moved to fb + GTKfb at some point, as it less bulky.

It seems like we have to move back to X11 + GTK, shame.
Are there any plans to support directfb again (it still mentioned in fsl-setup-release.sh as dfb) and what's the main difference between currently supported fb and directfb?

Regads,

Ilya

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Ilya,

I’m not aware of any plans to support directfb again. The difference between fb and directfb is that in the first instance you would write directly to the framebuffer, while directfb is actually a graphics server with similar functions as X11 although it is simpler and less bulky.

Regards,

0 Kudos