cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android suitable GPS module for i.MX 8QuadMax MEK

amit251291
Contributor IV

Dear all,

We are planning to use UART available on the base board of i.MX 8QuadMax MEK for GPS module. 

Could you please suggest some of the Android compatible GPS modules with UART interface ?

OR

If there are any other android compatible modules available with other interfaces on this board please suggest the same. 

3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Amit

one can use any gps module, gps is connected via a serial port connection.

No need for special drivers, but for an application to read the port.

The gps looks like it sends a serial stream in NMEA format.

In Android write an application that uses location services, and include the ability

to parse NMEA sentences.

GpsStatus.NmeaListener  |  Android Developers 

How to include location services:

geolocation - How do I get the current GPS location programmatically in Android? - Stack Overflow 

android - How to read GPS data and accelerometer data in one activity - Stack Overflow 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

amit251291
Contributor IV

Dear igorpadykov‌,

thank you so much for this information. 

I have connected Ublox- NEO-6M GPS module to UARTvia USB-Serial interface. 

I can see that NMEA packet are being received on /dev/ttyUSB0.

We are using Android 9 Auto (downloaded from here) on i.MX 8QuadMax MEK. 

Purpose:

I need to feed this NMEA data across all the layers so that it will be available at the Application layer in Android. Using this, one can use applications like Maps

1) Do you have any pointers how it can be achieved ? Do you have any detailed information here ?

2) I have downloaded an Android-serial-GPS-driver. But not sure which will be right place to keep the same as i dont see /hardware/imx/ in this Android version. But i found it inside /vendor/nxp-opensource/imx/. Do you suggest any other library ?

3) I also saw in logcat that there is no log GNSSProvider. My understanding is GNSSProvider is mandatory for above mentioned purpose. Is my understanding correct ?

Request you to throw some light here. 

sooraj_ms
Contributor I

Hi Amit,

Were you able to get the GPS data in Android Maps? I am trying to implement a similar application where i need to get the GPS data from a USB receiver (connected to iMX8QXP MEK) to Google Maps.

0 Kudos