Android modem + microphone + speaker

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android modem + microphone + speaker

poachek
Contributor I

I am using i.mx6 dual and currently trying to integrate a modem using Android. In the end I want to be able to make/receive calls. The documentation I find is tricky for a person with not so much experience with hardware.

The modem I am using is SIM7000E and I am able to connect to the internet and make calls but I don't understand how I should add a microphone and a speaker(2 speakers actually 1 loud). Of course the modem has the capability to connect speaker and microphone but adding them directly to the modem will not make the accessible from Android.

So how is this possible? Should I connect the mic to i.mx6 I2S? Is there an example that I can study?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Actually, according to the SIM7000E module's manufacturer documentation, it doesn't have any analog interface for direct connection of microphone and speakers. It only has the PCM interface to connect an external audio codec to provide the analog interfaces and analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion. So, anyway, an external audio codec, such as the following one:

http://www.nxp.com/products/media-and-audio-processing/audio-converters/audio-codec/ultra-low-power-...

is required. The typical solution is to connect the PCM interface of the SIM7000E module to the SSI (I2S) interface of the i.MX6 processor and the audio codec to another SSI interface. Then, it is possible to transfer the digitized audio signals between the SIM7000E module and audio codec and process audio in software, if required.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos