cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android NAND UBI permissions

timharvey
Contributor IV

Greetings,

I'm using the Freescale Kitkat Android BSP for an IMX6 based board with NAND flash. While the Freescale patches to Android include pulling in external/mtd-utils with some (dated) support for ubi/ubifs this creates a SYSTEM partition with ownership/permissions that do not match those defined in system/core/include/private/android_filesystem.

I've noticed that files in out/target/product/<device>/system all have ownership and umask matching the build user and build user's umask at the time of build and that Android has its own make_ext4fs utility (out/host/linux-x86/bin/make_ext4fs built from system/extras/ext4_utils/make_ext4fs.c) specifically to manage the permissions and ownership of the files in SYSTEM. Doesn't mtd-utils need to be patched to create the files in a ubifs in the same way?

Regards,

Tim

KevinWong

arpan_chakravarty

partner

gateworks

Labels (2)
2 Replies

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Kitkat Android BSP did not generate system.img which is matched with  android_filesystem. That was because the tool mkfsubifs in kitkat doesn’t support change system file’s ownership/permissions.

We support change the system file’s ownership/permissions in  the next version: lollipop.

You can refer to attached patch to change the ubifs system file’s ownership/permissions.

Have a great day,
Sergio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

timharvey
Contributor IV

Sergio,

I ended up patching mtd-utils also. Your patch does not look complete. Mine can be found here in case anyone needs it: mkfs.ubifs: add fixstats capability · ca8f166 · Gateworks/android_external_mtd-utils · GitHub. I believe something else is still missing as I recall still having to disable selinux to boot via NAND UBI. I'll revisit and reply when I can get back to looking at this.

I think the release notes are very misleading in stating that NAND is supported.

Regards,

Tim