Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 4.3 MMC codec on i.MX6SL EVK

Jump to solution
vincentchou
Contributor IV

Hi! 

Has anyone tried the media playback capability on Android 4.3 on i.MX6SL EVK?  We have come across issues to use the media player to play VGA H.264 video files.  Is that supported in free scale's Android BSP?

Vincent

Labels (3)
1 Solution
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vicent,

I can not close it myself. So you can help close it by clicking the Correct Answer button. Thanks a lot~~

Best Regards

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
vincentchou
Contributor IV

Hi!  Dan,

Happy Chinese New Year! 

I would like to make sure the i.MX6 Solo Lite could support H.264 VGA decode so we could use that as a video viewer for the media streaming.  Have you had any experience on that?

Vincent

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vincent,

So sorry to late reply. The i.MX6 Solo Lite do not support H.264 VGA decode. About Video Decode and Encode only SW support.

Hope this can help you ~~

Best Regards

Dan

0 Kudos
vincentchou
Contributor IV

Hi!  Dan,

Thanks for the info!  We do know Solo Lite does not have the hardware video accelerator.  However, could we just use SW decode engine to playback H.264 VGA video stream?

Vincent

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vincent,

I am sorry, you can not.This i.MX6SL EVK board is mainly used for EPD. And it do not support video playback. As you can see the Features of android jb4.3 packages in "Android_Release_Notes.pdf" of android_jb4.3_1.0.0-ga_doc. If you really want to playback H.264 VGA video stream, you'd better to consider other processors. I attached the Android_Release_Notes.pdf for you.
Have a great day

Best Regards
Dan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
vincentchou
Contributor IV

Hi!  Dan,

I am curious about the codec between Ubuntu and Android.  Based on Table 10 of "i.MX_6_Series_Ubuntu_Multimedia_Release_Notes.pdf", the Solo Lite Linux EVK could support MPEG4(H.263BP) up to D1 resolution.  For H.264, it supports CIF.  In Android Release not, it said Video Media playback is supported.  In that case, if we design our board to support LCD output based on i.MX6 Solo Lite, could we at least gain the same type of video decode performance like Ubuntu?

Vincent

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vincent,

The processor i.MX6 Solo Lite is used for EPD. About video display, it's weak. I advice you to choose other processors for designing on video performance. Hope this can help you ~~

Best Regards

Dan

vincentchou
Contributor IV

Hi!  Dan,

We did try to run H.264 video decode and it can support H.264 VGA 25fps in the Android environment.  However, is there anything else we should be cautious?

Vincent

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vincent,

For me it's hard to say what you should be cautious. If you meet problems, create threads in this community. We will try our best to help you ~~

Best Regards

Dan

0 Kudos
vincentchou
Contributor IV

Hi! Dan,

Thanks a lot!  I shall post a new thread if I come across new issues.  Thanks!

Vincent

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vicent,I

Welcome to create new threads in our i.mx community. :smileyhappy: Towards this thread if you do not have any problems, would you please help us close it. Thanks a lot~~
Have a great day

Best Regards
Dan

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
vincentchou
Contributor IV

Hi!  Dan,

Please close this thread for me!  Thanks!

Vincent

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vicent,

I can not close it myself. So you can help close it by clicking the Correct Answer button. Thanks a lot~~

Best Regards

Dan

0 Kudos
Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vincent,

Would you mind telling details issues you have met? So that it will bring more responses. Hope this can help you~~

Best Regards

Dan