Alternate way of loading Cortex M4 core on i.MX8MQ EVK

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate way of loading Cortex M4 core on i.MX8MQ EVK

saikumarmails
Contributor II

Context: I'm able to load binary to M4 core from u-boot prompt (using bootaux command) from attached file. I'm curious if there is any alternate way to load the M4 core like we have for i.MX8QXP here

Some info:

I can see that the image format differs for i.MX8MQ & i.MX8QXP. Where as  i.MX8QXP has SECO (Security Controller) firmware, SCU (System Controller Unit) firmware, Cortex M Image (optional), Cortex A Image (optional) etc., as part of image format but i.MX8MQ has Image Vector Table, Boot data, Device Configuration Data, User code and data.

Question:

So, we can't use the same procedure.

1. I'm wondering if there is any way to load the M4 core's binary from firmware before the u-boot comes up? or loading from u-boot is the only way?

2. Also, in the i.MX8MQ there is flash memory under the M4's memory map (from reference manual) how to load binary in to it and make the M4 get loaded from the same?

3. Under the program image has user code and data but there is no description of the same in the i.MX8MQ reference manual. So, does it refer to Cortex M & A images? can you please share some information on the same?

4. Any additional information which helps me in loading & executing the M4 core independently or at least before u-boot comes up?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Venkatasai

for i.MX8MQ I am afraid there is no option to load M4 image using boot rom, first boots A53 then

it can run M4. So there is no option for executing the M4 core independently, before A53 boots.

Alternative way to run M4 from linux:

README.md - m4ctrl - M4 Control Tool for i.MX platforms 

Probably one can consider option running M4 xip from qspi using boot plugin method.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

saikumarmails
Contributor II

Hi igorpadykov

I'm new to the plugin boot method, can you please share/point me some information on the same?

Also, can you please share your thoughts on below queries?

2. Also, in the i.MX8MQ there is flash memory under the M4's memory map (from reference manual) how to load binary in to it and make the M4 get loaded from the same?

3. Under the program image has user code and data but there is no description of the same in the i.MX8MQ reference manual. So, does it refer to Cortex M & A images? can you please share some information on the same?

Thanks

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Venkatasai

where did you find all this ? Please provide full

document name (link), page number, section name.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

saikumarmails
Contributor II

Hi igorpadykov‌,

Sorry for the delay in response. Below are the details.

I found above information in IMX8MDQLQRM's (attached) section 2.1.3. Also, from MCIMX8M-EVK's schematic (attached) I found that there is a flash chip MT25QL256ABA1EW9. So, my question is how to program this flash memory? can we do it trough u-boot to load M4 image?

Under section 6.1.6 of IMX8MDQLQRM.pdf it describes that program image consists of Image Vector Table (IVT), Boot data, Device Configuration Data & User code and data but there is no description about "User and code data". So, I had the above questions. Is it possible to load the M4 image like we do for i.MX8QXP?

Please consider the below question as well from my prior request.

I'm new to the plugin boot method, can you please share/point me some information on the same?

Thanks Again,

Sai

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sai

2. for i.MX8MQ there is no option to load M4 image using boot rom, first boots A53 then
it can run M4. For programming MCIMX8M-EVK flash chip MT25QL256ABA1EW9 please create new thread.

3.  >program image has user code and data but there is no description of the same
>in the i.MX8MQ reference manual. So, does it refer to Cortex M & A images?

User code and data means image, for example Linux.

> Is it possible to load the M4 image like we do for i.MX8QXP?

no.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos