cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adeneo ginger bread and IMX53 QSB USB ports

Jump to solution
arunmitteam
Contributor III

I have been using Adeneos ginger bread in IMX53 QSB and I find that only one of the USB port works. The one below the ethernet port works and the other USB port doesn't work. How can I enable the other USB port to work? The 2 ports work fine when I load it with Ubuntu 10.04 OS. Please help me with this issue. Thanks in advance.

Labels (3)
1 Solution
RodneyFulk
Contributor III

Ahh ok, I did that sort of work between 1986-1991 adding instruments to computers. Just be aware that the bottom USB port is going to work much like you may be used to when using Android Phones as mentioned elsewhere. Not sure how you can reverse it back into a host but I am sure it is possible since it works from Linux. Also don't forget that the bottom USB port is the same port as the miniUSB port. The wiring is connected to both ports so you can use one or the other but not both. You could also consider using a SATA device on the SATA port for data storage as well if you have issues with the USB port although I have no idea how to use the SATA port yet. But hooking up a cheap 2.5" laptop drive or an SSD might be an option as well instead of a flashdrive which should leave the USB port available for your instrument.

Rodney

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RodneyFulk
Contributor III

This is by design... The bottom USB port in Android is used to connect to your PC. If you are going to use more than one USB port you have to use a USB hub on the top port. If you hook a cable to the bottom port or to the mini(Micro?) USB port to your PC you will find you can connect to the device from your PC. It is NOT available as a HID or other port.

Remember this bottom port and the smaller USB port (Micro/Mini?) is the same port and is a OTB USB port which means it can be a host or be a slave. Under Android this port is a slave while under linux and WE7 it is a host unless you configure it differently.

arunmitteam
Contributor III

Rodney,

Thanks so much for your reply. I will be using the other USB port to connect to another micro controller board which will be communicating to the android OS continuously. From your reply, I believe that the other port will also work when I connect a computer to it and will be able to interact with the Android. I will test it with the actual micro controller and see what happens. Please correct me if I have got anything wrong.

0 Kudos
RodneyFulk
Contributor III

May I ask what sort of things you are adding to the board? I am asking only because I am considering doing something similar but I am very new to the hardware side of things.

Rodney

0 Kudos
arunmitteam
Contributor III

I'm completely new to the hardware side and also to imx53 board. We are developing an instrument which will need external USB flash memory storage and another USB port will be connected to a microcontroller board for which the commands will be sent from Android OS. I'm not sure whether the microcontroller board will work if I connect it to imx53 usb through mini port or the bottom USB port. I'm yet to test it with the actual instrument.

0 Kudos
RodneyFulk
Contributor III

Ahh ok, I did that sort of work between 1986-1991 adding instruments to computers. Just be aware that the bottom USB port is going to work much like you may be used to when using Android Phones as mentioned elsewhere. Not sure how you can reverse it back into a host but I am sure it is possible since it works from Linux. Also don't forget that the bottom USB port is the same port as the miniUSB port. The wiring is connected to both ports so you can use one or the other but not both. You could also consider using a SATA device on the SATA port for data storage as well if you have issues with the USB port although I have no idea how to use the SATA port yet. But hooking up a cheap 2.5" laptop drive or an SSD might be an option as well instead of a flashdrive which should leave the USB port available for your instrument.

Rodney

0 Kudos