cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About i.MX8 mxc-media-dev driver

xu_ji1
Contributor V

Hello,

In i.MX8 Yocto project source code the mxc-media-dev driver file config by macro CONFIG_IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE=y

in defconfig,but after comment the macro on defconfig,the driver also build in kernel and probe?

Is there other driver related with it and load it?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
13 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Which BSP are you using?

Which defconfig you modified?

Please tell me more in details. So, I can try it on my side to reproduce the issue.

0 Kudos

xu_ji1
Contributor V

Hello,

I used imx-yocto-L4.14.98_2.3.0 BSP

and modify linux-imx/4.14.98-r0/git/arch/arm64/configs/defconfig

#CONFIG_IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE=y

Thanks

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Have you try this command "bitbake linux-imx -c menuconfig" to change the setting?

0 Kudos

xu_ji1
Contributor V

yes,of course do it first,then compile kernel

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

you may comment out the "obj-$(CONFIG_IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE) += imx8-media-dev.o" directly in the "drivers/staging/media/imx/Makefile"

0 Kudos

xu_ji1
Contributor V

yes,I know this method to remove the module,but my question is not remove,my question is why comment the macro

on defconfig can not effect the module,it also load to kernel.

When comment CONFIG_GMSL_MAX9286=y this macro on defconfig,max9286 driver will not load in kernel,it is effect.

so why CONFIG_IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE not effect and have some other driver related with mxc-media-dev driver?

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

yocto-4.14.98-2.3.2/build-wayland/tmp/work/imx8qmmek-poky-linux/linux-imx/4.14.98-r0/git$ find . -type f -exec grep -H IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE {} \;

./drivers/media/platform/imx8/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE) += mxc-media-dev.o
./drivers/media/platform/imx8/Kconfig:config IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE

I searched the whole source code. There is no other place to compile this IMX8_MEDIA_DEViCE.

0 Kudos

xu_ji1
Contributor V

only CONFIG_IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE=n that can effect for the driver.

and when set the driver to module CONFIG_IMX8_MEDIA_DEVICE=m CONFIG_GMSL_MAX9286=m

why media_dev ko will auto install by system but max9286 driver ko not load?

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Do you mean you can see the module media_dev loaded when you type "lsmod"?

If you build it as a module, I think there may have a command to load the .ko file.

You may search the module name in your filesystem.

Please tell me what is the image name you built. (e.g.  bitbake "image-name")  so I can try it on my side.

0 Kudos

xu_ji1
Contributor V

yes,"lsmod" see loaded

I have not search any command,pls help

I bitbake fsl-image-machine-test

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Double check with the expert team.

Our expert cannot reproduce this issue, because there is nothing under "lsmod" command and ko can be inserted with "insmod mxc-media-dev.ko"
Environment: i.MX8QM MEK Linux 4.14.98_2.3.0

Best regards,
Jimmy
0 Kudos

xu_ji1
Contributor V

Hello,

It seems your team only build kernel and only download kernel image,that will cause all kernel modules can not load

need download all image of the project then kernel module will auto load normal,so mxc-media-dev.ko will auto load.

Thanks

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I searched and read the Makefile. There is only one Makefile to compile this imx8-media-dev.o. I am using L5.4.3. So, I will try to install and compile the L4.14.98_2.3.2 (support i.MX8QM) and then check it again.

0 Kudos