Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVB Support on i.MX 8M Plus - Preferred MAC

Jump to solution
praveen_yaramada
Contributor II

Hello NXP Support,

Of the two MACs in this SOC (iMX 8M Plus), which one is preferred for AVB? Are there any qualitative or compatibility and certification benefits of one over the other?

Two MACs being:

1. ENET (driven by fec) and
  2. ENET_QOS(dwmac-eqos).

I reviewed the features of both MACs in the manual "IMX8MP_RM (rev 2, Feb 2024)", it highlighted the AVB on ENET_QOS for advanced use. This contrasts with the reference software exemplified by GenAVB_TSN. In the linux-imx-rtedge distrubution, this software stack appears to use the ENET (probed by fec driver). Additionally it is leveraging the enhancements to fec driver (specifically, CONFIG_AVB_SUPPORT) which is not in the linux-imx.

Meanwhile, this older KB article seems to be using ENET_QOS. I have yet to try this, but a quick read shows it is based on linux-imx but not using the GenAVB_TSN.

I am leaning towards a combination - ENET_QOS with GenAVB_TSN. It is not evident whether this combination is supported. Please advise if any technical limitations. Is there a path for getting GenAVB_TSN operate on ENET_QOS with the drivers of linux-imx?

Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry, I got the reply from the AE team. Currently the AVB Endpoint configuration for MPU is only supported on the FEC interface.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos
praveen_yaramada
Contributor II
Hello @jimmychan,

Could you please clarify if the combination of "GenAVB_TSN + ENET_QOS" is supported on the i.MX8M Plus? The documentation is unclear on this.

If it's not supported, could you explain whether this is due to technical limitations of the ENET_QOS MAC? I prefer ENET_QOS because of the pinmux configuration on ENET.

Thank you for your assistance.
0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

FYI. Please refer to chapter 5.2 in the document below.

https://www.nxp.com.cn/docs/en/user-guide/REALTIMEEDGEUG.pdf

The setup is connected to i.MX8MP TSN interface (EQOS).

0 Kudos
praveen_yaramada
Contributor II
Hello @jimmychan,

It appears the chapter 5.2 in the REALTIMEEDGEUG focuses on the TSN endpoint. However, I am interested in the AVB endpoint, for which I am referring this document (GENAVBTSNUG)[https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/GENAVBTSNUG.pdf]

I couldn't find any definitive information on whether the AVB-endpoint is supported on the ENET_QOS as far as the GenAVB stack is concerned.

Could you please clarify, specifically whether the GenAVB stack for AVB endpoint is supported with ENET_QOS.

Thank you for your support.
0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry, I got the reply from the AE team. Currently the AVB Endpoint configuration for MPU is only supported on the FEC interface.