Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APK install on iMX508

Zubi
Contributor I

Hi all,

i need help about ".apk" file installation in iMX508 running Android 

Could somebody tell how can an "apk" app. been installed? It has been installed in a Mobil running Android, but we can not do the same in our iMX508 eval board.

Thanks for your help,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

G_rio
Contributor III

You're Welcome and it made me happy to help someone.

Good luck

Regards

Eduardo

0 Kudos

ikerMarinelaren
Contributor II

Hello!

I have finally achieve to install my app in two different ways:

1-Copying the app to the sd card:

After positioning myself on the app directory( in the android internal console), I tried:

# pm install app.apk     and  I received:

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE].

This happened because the app wasn't copied on the correct sd partition.

After changing the location of the app I got another problem:

Failure[INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES]

I have solved this by creating a signed app,copying it and installing it again.(The first app wasn't a signed one).

2- Connecting the device to the pc (LINUX):

I have been able to connect it by following Eduardo's last post steps.

Thank you Eduardo, because testing the apps with the device directly connected to my pc will save me a lot of time.

Thanks also to everybody who has tried to help on solving this issue. If anybody has any question about the topic, I'll be willing to help you.

Regards,

Iker iMX.508.

G_rio
Contributor III

look this ( FileNotFound*rubg4FIX*SipmC07uz/i.MX_Android_R10.3.1_User_Guide.html )

5.9 How to setup PC (Windows) to support ADB/RNDIS

Before this release, we used HTC's vendor id and product id for all the android gadget functions. It's bad case, so we changed the default android USB gadget functions's VendorID to freescale's 0x15a2, and ProductID to fake ones(after acquiring the offical product id, we will replace them). Due to this change, we must update the PC's USB driver and ADB configuration to enable the android gadget functions:

For Windows PC:

• ADB function
    • Download the Android SDK.
    • Update the adb configuration to scan for freescale's pid:
      • Run the SDK's tools to generate a configure file:
android-sdk-windows\tools\android.bat update adb
  • Modify the files:
X:\Profile\<your account>\.android\adb_usb.ini, to add freescale vendor id:
  • Unpack the freescale Android USB win driver in the release package tool\android_usb_fsl.zip.
  • Connect the Android Device into PC, uninstall your old driver named "Android Phone" in the device manager, then reinstall driver by scanning .inf file under the directory you unpack the android_usb_fsl.zip.
  • Restart the adb server
    • adb kill-server
    • adb start-server

• RNDIS function (USB Tethering)
  • Connect your device to PC
  • Enable USB tethering in the Android UI
    • Settings-> Wireless settings -> Tethering -> USB Tethering
  • Install the PC driver by scanning the freescale Android USB driver .inf file in the adb driver directory mentioned above.
  • If the Android RNDIS Network driver is ready, you can start to use tether by 3G or WIFI.

For Linux PC:

• ADB function
    • Download the Android SDK.
    • Update the adb configuration to scan for freescale's pid:
      • Run the SDK's tools to generate a configure file:
android-sdk-linux_86/tools/android update adb
  • Modify the files:~/.android/adb_usb.ini, to add freescale vendor id:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x15a2

• Create a new udev rule file under the PC's /etc/udev/rules.d/ named: imx-android.rules. And fill in the following line into the file:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="15a2", MODE="0666"

• Change the new udev rule file's permission:
chmod a+r /etc/udev/rules.d/imx-android.rules
  • Connect the Android Device
  • Restart the adb server
    • adb kill-server
    • adb start-server

G_rio
Contributor III
Ok. I was wondering and i thought the solution. You need to edit the file that recognize your device at ~/.android/xxx I don't remeber what name is xxx but open all with gedit or vi and i don't remeber what is the ID for freescale, but you can find it on User Guide from DOCs. In windows is the same step, but the folder is localized in your username path. See this site.http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html#setting-up
0 Kudos

nww
Contributor I

you may want to

• either connect USB from your development host computer to the board and install with 'adb install <pkg>' command (if the emulator is running as well, you can 'adb device' to see what's connected)
  • or put the apk on the sdcard and install via 'pm install <pkg>' command via the board commandline (from the dev board terminal emulator or from serial connection from the development host computer)
  • or start adbd on the board with networking enabled, connect to the board from the development host computer with 'adb connect' (ethernet connection and on board IP setup required, obiously) and use 'adb install <pkg>' from the host.

i've experience only on i.mx51, but i guess the above should work also on i.mx50.

0 Kudos

ikerMarinelaren
Contributor II

Hi!

The problem is that it returns an empty list.

So I am not able to do nothing related with it.

Thank you,

Iker.

0 Kudos

G_rio
Contributor III

Hello,

try it on linux and where your SDK is installed:

adb devices

if result is ???????? Do it: 

adb kill-server

and after adb down do it

sudo adb start-server

and check again your device

adb devices

0 Kudos

ikerMarinelaren
Contributor II

Hello,

I am working with Raul with the iMX508 device.

First of all, thank you for your quick answer.

I have tried installing it with both Linux and windows O.S. (by default I work on linux), but I as Raul has said, I haven't achieve it.

I have tried installing it via adb, but it doesn't find the device ( it is already on debugger mode).

I have tried installing it copying the app on the SD card directly and then install it through the android internal console. I received a not enough space error.

So I don't what to do, I think that ones I find the way to recognice the device the problem will be solved, but how can I do it? Do I need any extra driver or something like this?

Regards,

Iker.

0 Kudos

t_heyligen
Contributor I

Hi Raul,

How did you connect your device to a Windows/Linux host?
On the host, is "adb devices" able to find your device?
What is the (error) message of "adb install yourapp.apk"?

Regards,
 Tom.

0 Kudos

G_rio
Contributor III

Have you tried install it using ADB shell ? try adb install NAME.apk

Make sure you are connected and debug mode is set.

0 Kudos

Midous2022
Contributor II

Hi my friends : I do no , im not tried , anbd also i do if i have and wish the method to do it ? You have any tutorial ?

0 Kudos